Windows 7 support will end on January 14, 2020

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AsaadSoft, Sep 28, 2018.

1. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    :g: not idiots, i think; just putting all the crap into the bin that m$ included lately looks like a good idea to me.. but when i look at the `idiots` who are looking at the latest
    malware beta update of w 10 [don`t ask me for the latest number that m$ bestowed on it, it looks more like a telephone
    number, for i cant be bothered to read it till the end,] and i see that it inludes ~72 of the esteemed members of mdl, plus a few guests, i start to
    pity them; all that waste of time, while they used to have a perfectly usable os in w 7 ...before m$ put telemetry into it, that is....
    .:macwheel:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Saw that.
    I applied everything but MSMG, when i'm selecting the source, it doesn't work (i tried menu 2 and 3, putting the iso in DVD and ISO folder) may you help ?

3. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    I'm surprised that no one (except nodnar) has mentioned using Linux when Windows 7 reaches EOL. Everyone so far seems fixated on Windows 10 or 8.1 as the only possible option.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    There is a simple reason... A lot of those people who want to stay with 7 and have thought about that subject, probably like me, have tried to change to Linux a few times already in their lives and simply found it much to unpractical. Maybe it will be the system of last resort, because 7 may become too riddled with too many problems.
    I for one am not really interested in working daily on the OS I use and do not see it as the purpose of my life.

I want to use a computer and an OS to do with them what I actually want to do.
    Whenever you attempt to install Linux and go to any of their forums you will very quickly get the impression that the main purpose of using Linux is to make you feel special, and everybody else is a moron who only deserves to be mocked, "How can anybody be so stupid not to know that?"

5. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    ]@John Sutherland[/USER]; you make me tempted to race offtopic and list the pitfalls of using linux. major irritations; -steep learning curve if you only know dos commands. or windose
    for that matter.[ i still know dos commands by heart.. and i started with win 3.0 on a 80386.] and there are no drive letters. sudo goddammit. but. advantages are; it actually works well even on older machines, with little ram.it is free. it is open source. it is the only alternative if you are fed up with the al capone methods of m$, like surreptiously ùpdating`to win 10, inserting telemetry, inventing `trusted installers` that are hard to get rid of, etc, etc. BUT. It is the only viable alternative to m$.that i know of. excuse the offtopic rant.

6. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I'm also upgrading to Linux;) I don't know a whole lot of the operating system, but I know enough to get me out on the net. and do what I need to do out there. I will Do a clean install of Win7 with no updates and not allow it to access the net. I will only use it for programs I have and need.
    Win7 On Jan 14 2020 ....YOU CAN >>:rip:

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #27 Michaela Joy, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    I just have to chime in...can't resist :D

So far, nobody has asked the question:

"What's going to happen after Jan 14, 2020?"

Is Windows 7 just going to mysteriously shut down and that's that?
    Maybe for people who still have windows update installed and active it will. (Just like the Windows upgrade popup garbage)

If Windows 7 isn't completely locked down and stable by 2020, then we should just take our computers and fling them out the window.
    Then, go and take a walk outside and enjoy your newly found freedom being 'computer free'.

No worries though. Just like a Nicotine patch when you're quitting smoking, you still have that smartphone tucked away in your purse or pocket.
    It's not a real computer mind you; it's just there to help you get through the "cravings".

As far as 'Nix goes, there was a time when I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. But in all fairness, It's come a long way.
    You just have to be careful and make sure you RTFM twice before attempting anything "dicey".

If you're a developer, you'll be happy to know that just about everything you need is free. And when I say free, I mean free for both personal and commercial development.

It's a little tricky, but you can develop for multiple "flavors" of 'Nix, just by using things like

#ifdef BSD
    <<BSD specific code >>
    #endif

And don't worry too much about command line stuff. Eventually, some things will be replaced with GUI front ends.
    Well...what can be replaced will be.

@john: Despite the fact that many Windows programs have 'nix alternatives, just getting used to the differences between the two OSes might be too much for some to handle.

Besides...most of us have been brainwashed into thinking that Linux is just too unstable or too complicated for us frail Windows people to wrap our heads around.

@ThomasMann: I couldn't agree more. You buy a car to drive around and get things done with it. Not to be forced to work on the damn thing all of the time.

That's called "owning a lemon".

@ThomasMann: Well said. People come here because they've been verbally abused over at some of the 'Nix forums.

Hats off to the people over here who are nice enough (and patient enough) to help them out.

[end of rant]. :D

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    To VL customers there will be still ESU until 2023, but they have to pay for it.

Actually people can use w7 as long as they want. You don't run into issues if there are no yet...one just has to stop to update anything....anything that runs at EOL day will run in the future. You just have to stay at the last versions...

People who do not want to use w10 at all will have to migrate to a Linux distro. There is no alternative.
    I also have registered at kubuntu forums and had a hard start. People were offensive when I started to point on valid issues...and some were hostile....BUT that shouldn't matter.

There will be more and more newcomers even because more and more do not want to use w10. The psychological strain to migrate away from it to Linux will increase after EOL of w7.

More and more newcomers will become a part of the 'Nix communities and the arrogant elitists there will be educated. One just has to stay sovereign. They have to learn that Linux distos will become an option for the 'simple' users.....

9. True and not true because people will want to keep Windows at all costs. (and that's sad, some users only needs a browser but hey, habits)

There are elitism everywhere, in the UNIX-like world, some people will tell you : "Arch is the best distro" some will say "Debian is great" and so on...

Personnaly, I like Solus and Arch, because the first is made simple and the latter makes your learn stuff and you can install anything you want : a big house packed with a lot of stuff or a tiny house with only a window manager as a desktop.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Careful! This thread is becoming sort of a "Why should I move Linux" discussion :eek: :busted_cop: :tooth:

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Actually not.
    There is a IF (people do not like w10 at all).... :)
    ..and there is the option to still use w7 after EOL.

12. RideTheLightning

RideTheLightning MDL Member

Sep 20, 2018
    Of course and there is nothing stopping you from using Windows XP or Windows Vista either but there will be problems when software and driver developers stops supporting the operating systems or the operating system won't run on your new hardware.

Some point or the other you just have to change, I mean there are literally no one running Windows 2000 Professional as their daily operating system any more and for good reasons too.

My laptop which I'm typing from now and use for daily internet activities I run Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS on and my gaming rig which is offline I use Windows 10 on.

Windows 7 just like all it's predecessors is all going down the same fate.

I got new hardware of course I want to run Windows 10 on it, all the software and drivers works and I don't have to worry about that my operating system is halting my experience.

If I went for Windows 7 I doubt that my experience would have been the same and might even cause headaches.

13. johnhartford

johnhartford MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2018
    Windows for videos and gaming
    Linux virtual machine for web browsing, torrents, with a samba network server to share downloaded "linux iso's" to windows

14. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

As usual, you make sense, but.....

"Despite the fact that many Windows programs have 'nix alternatives, just getting used to the differences between the two OSes might be too much for some to handle."

You forget to mention that it takes a lot of time for a newbie to change over. And if this time is uncessarily extended massivly by childísh idiots in forums where you cannot get answers that are useful, and instead of helping only waste your time and insult you...
    So, you see, it is not just the difference between two Oesses... but then, it was only a rant.... :oops:;)

15. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    well.... basically that it is the question that was asked, isn't it?

Unless MS changes its policy, there is no other option. You may even be afraid that MS will use its knowledge about all the already known unresolved security holes to write a virus that will make 7 unusable, and make daily pop ups to remind you to buy 10. So the question for users will rather be what AV software to use, once Defender no longer gets new definitions...
    I think for most people who still use use 7 the question if you should buy Win 10 will never come up... (even if I were the only one, I would not)
    There is one more thing I have noticed... Wherever I go to shops, universities, companies or even hospitals.... I don't remember one place that uses Win 10.
    The biggest computer shop in Tokyo does not use it.

16. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    No it wasn't. The question is in the picture first post: Do you have an upgrade plan?
    They're referring to upgrade to Winblows 10.

I think the topics to be discussed here is whether to keep 7 or upgrade/stay to 8.x.

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The first post has been copied and pasted from M$. It's understandable that they want people to upgrade to w10.
    Anyway anybody who is using w7 (and will encounter its EOL) can have an opinion which is 'on topic'.

18. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    That maybe what someone asks, but it is not the actual question that needs to be asked. If that is the question someone thinks about, the he does not understand reality very well, and if he represents the majority is of´no interest at all. So why on earth would I waste m time on that question, when the one lying underneath is of existential importance: What will the world of computers and internet look like in 10 or 20 years, if these things go on as they do know? and, btw. There won't be any Win 8 around then either.
    Should one jump on the Linux bandwaggon to stopo this, because at the moment it looks like the only viable option....

Look, a vast majority of people thought the question was Hilary or Trump... A minority of thinking people understood that the question was, is something that gives you the choice between such garbage still anything worth calling a democracy?

I did not want to go to such extremes... but Win 10 is nothing worth discussing... on the other hand, the problem itself exists.

19. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm. i think i managed to answer that question-in-a-picture quite adequately, in my #12..

and you`re right, @Mr.X with your warning, i said i was racing off-topic didn`t i? ;)
    just w10 [and w8.x too, for that matter,] is totally unacceptable to me, and that goes for m$`methods too.
    so from the moment w8 and w10 came out it was obvious to me me that i would have to find a viable alternative for w7, and m$ products generally. I looked at kolibri-os [wildly optimistic,] and at linux mint/libreoffice. i upgraded to libreoffice from office 2003 recently.] it is a huge overkill for me, as i only need word and excel from them, but is is workable.
    what remains for me is the big jump to linux.

maybe a new thread is needed?
    [

20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I personally feel that Microsoft's stance on personal privacy oversteps. I will be very hard pressed to go to 10. I'll most likely switch to Linux also

"Windows 10... It wants to be found and installed so it can be the one operating system for everybody. One operating system to rule them all."