Windows 8.1 - Is a complete mess!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Nova, Jun 27, 2013.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Rome wasn't build in one day either, just burned down in one!

Why expect perfection from something which is still under development and will be further? Windows 8.1 Preview is just an Beta!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Nova

Nova MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2011
    If you're happy with 8.1 Preview then fine, you've said your peace, there's no point in keeping on saying the same thing over and over.

Was thinking perhaps it would be helpful if you made a thread to list the bugs, then all of us can add to it as we find them?
    Would be more constructive maybe >_<

3. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    I like that and you are absolutely right :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Same here no issues . will check it further

5. polochamps2004

polochamps2004 MDL Junior Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Windows 8.1 automatically updated my Nvidia driver to 325.71.

6. generalsu

generalsu MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    All Windows 8.1 preview apps installed fine except Windows Alarms, Windows Reading List, Windows Sound Recorder, Windows Calculator. These apps produced error code 0x80073cfb at the new Windows Store 2.0.

Anyone have the same problem?

7. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    I guess people were still having the sweet memory of win7beta was so much much much better than vista..... on my part I wouldn't use a pre-release build to replace my main OS. :D

8. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    that's what I said all the time but it seems that the kids do not listen to. A fine VM setup with the chance to see what's coming up is the best way to keep all data and not landing in a mess :cool:

9. natostanco

natostanco MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2011
    Menus align fine here, left -> right
    Could not reproduce weird behaviours with snap, win+d unsnap the app
    the jumplists I have tried (vlc, chrome and some soft) are populated
    Not found anything weird with drag and drop
    Search is indeed slow, I might hazard to say the rank is for file types, first apps then settings then files, for me it does open pc, it shows the letter of the filesystem, did not test leaks

For the double apps 1 is metro the other is the old one, my this pc window does not have 3 desktop folders, touch keyboard indeed use one process and another which ends with 32, my cursor does not move invokign win+x, yet it reposition itself slightly when invoking with m2 on the start button to select the first item of the menu.
    other things have not tested by I have not noticed any bug really, clean install no upgrade

10. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    the same

went trough the same but was the only problem installing fresh that ISO I got from mega that's been around
    then I just downloaded all updates i could find while it was fresh without installing anything. If you really wanna test the stability don't upgrade, repartition, format and fresh install no cpu problems whatsoever during setup (amd fx 8120 may have those weird instruction sets they ask for) I didn't install realtek's hd audio codec drivers cause I think it's just bloatware, even in 7, the included driver was set to 5.1 and 48000hz 24bit and does the same job and it works here in 8.1 too, foobar2000 (my music player) works fine. Installed video card driver from windows update. This game saints row the third runs much better than with 8 (it's the only game I play) the video card is a geforce 550 Ti, motherboard's an asus m5a99x evo. The only problem I found is actually the same I'm quoting, but since I don't run "Apps" except for Weather I don't really care.

Here goes my two cents on windows 8.1 so far,
    have a good one everybody

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

Wise words spoken.... the way to go for any beta's :biggrin:

12. VeryCrushed

VeryCrushed MDL Novice

Jun 21, 2012
    So far I have not had any problems in 8.1, did a clean install from the msdn iso. I have not had any problems that people have listed on the forums and everything seems to run perfectly.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Don't like the use of VM Installations. I use Remove Racks and install the OS's as "stand alone" systems on their own HDD, use the BIOS Boot Manager for to choose which System I like to run or just exchange the one HDD with an other one and boot with that HDD/OS. Don't need to use and extra system on hook of an other, which will never run same as normal. In that I also didn't need to use some emulated hardware for to get that hooked OS to run!

14. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    This may sound pedantic to some but an example of how slap-dash their development is...

They added the Shut down menu item to the left corner context menu but named for the main menu item the same as one of the the sub-menu items.. ie
    Shut down > Shutdown
    Restart

Should have consistent with the charms bar...
    Power > Shutdown
    Restart

One wonders how their lead developers think... this is basic stuff!

15. KR11Z4D3R

KR11Z4D3R MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2013
    #35 KR11Z4D3R, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    Re: 8.1 Release Messed Up

Firstly, I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 Preview on a separate partition and i would
    still have to experience anything really annoying such as Nvidia Drivers Blank Screen
    and the sort, etc.. No major issues so far other than the much ballyhooed Start Button is not
    really the Start Menu of Win 7, but actually takes you to the much hated Start Screen.
    Now how much more facetious can you get! Lol. However if you right-click on it, it will at least
    give you the ability to one-click most of the important system functions of Win 8 vice the
    laborious 3-click process on Win 8. Lol. IMO they should not have gone through all this hype
    but just release this as SP1 and the final one in October as SP2.

Also from reading user's other comments, it seems that the users that did a clean
    install were least likely to have problems. I am not sure if the users having problems
    did an upgrade from the 'Store', because they did not mention it. Other than that
    I don't think this so-called upgrade will enamor the current users and attract other
    non-users.

Another thing too is it would really be bad if you cannot roll-back this upgrade??! LOL.

16. dippyweb

dippyweb MDL Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Wi ndows 8.1 PREVIEW !

17. KR11Z4D3R

KR11Z4D3R MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2013
    Yeah! Preview of WHAT? much more of the same... LOL

18. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Not really sure why anyone expected anything different. Did anyone really expect Microsoft to just can Modern UI that quickly? Microsoft brought back the Start "Button". Not the old-school Menu. This was no secret...

But to be fair, this is a Preview, and not the actual finalized version of 8.1. I expect everyone who is having issues to report it directly to Microsoft, if you want the problem to have a chance to be fixed anyway...

19. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Where is the red dragon animated start screen wallpaper ?

They showed it on the 8.1 preview demo

20. Skylined

Skylined MDL Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I installed it and it works fine, used all the original windows 8 sony drivers...
    Will keep you posted!