Windows 8.1 Pro WMC generic activation tokens creation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kelorgo, Oct 22, 2013.

1. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I'm currently running Windows 8.1 Pro WMC install upgraded from an 8.0 Pro install that was originally activated using KMS + a legit WMC giveaway key from 2012. Are WMC keys tied to the machine after they're activated?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    As every key, so yes ;)

3. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    If I have unused WMC keys from the 2012 giveaway, are they still activate-able? I dug up my old emails and the fine print says "keys must be activated no later than February 1, 2013."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    I think yes but try a phone activation.

5. nuhuh

nuhuh MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2013
    According to post #69 of this thread, they aren't.

6. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    No matter how you managed to activate it, if you have an activated Win 8 Pro WMC install and you upgrade it to Win 8.1 via the Store, the resulting tokens should work for the purposes of this thread (although the tokens may have personal data). My suspicion is you are making a mistake somewhere, so please provide more information about what you are doing exactly. Specifically, would be nice if you answered all these questions:

* What source (ISO) are you using to install Windows 8 Pro?
    * What type of key/method is used to activate the Win 8 Pro (without WMC) installation?
    * What kind of key are you using to update to WMC in Win 8?
    * Does the update to Win 8.1 via the Store succeed?
    * Are you able to make a copy of *.dat files after the update to Win 8.1?
    * What are you trying to do with those *.dat files? What kind of OS (8/8.1, Pro/WMC) are you trying to insert them into? How was that OS installed?
    * When anything fails, and you get an error message, what error code are you getting? (Looks something like 0xC004C008)

If you could please answer all those, we can probably help.

Yes, WMC keys are very strongly tied to the first machine they were activated on. They absolutely will not activate online on a second machine, and they may not reactivate even on the first machine if there were too many hardware changes. (This is not like how regular retail keys normally work, there is usually some lenience with those)

7. Majestic

Majestic MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2008
    * What source (ISO) are you using to install Windows 8 Pro?
    Windows 8 RTM English, 64-bit (x64)
    Filename: en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso

* What type of key/method is used to activate the Win 8 Pro (without WMC) installation?
    Generic Key xxxxx-C9WKB

* What kind of key are you using to update to WMC in Win 8?
    Generic Key xxxxx-QGJXW

* Does the update to Win 8.1 via the Store succeed?
    Yes

* Are you able to make a copy of *.dat files after the update to Win 8.1?
    Yes, both data.dat and tokens.dat files

* What are you trying to do with those *.dat files?
    Copy and replaced over the W8.1 .dat files after installation

What kind of OS (8/8.1, Pro/WMC) are you trying to insert them into?
    W8.1 Pro_WMC os

How was that OS installed?
    Installed W8.1 Pro then add features

* When anything fails, and you get an error message, what error code are you getting? (Looks something like 0xC004C008)
    The last time was 0x2a 0xC004F061

If you could please answer all those, we can probably help.
    Thank you very much.

8. bobdebouman

bobdebouman MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    Works!
    Created a token then used it to activate my existing windows 8.1 with wmc upgrade key. :worthy:

9. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    very sad, recently I deleted the windows 8.0 iso, since I was using windows 8.1. now I think I need to re-download it just to generate the generic tokens :(

10. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Thank you for the detailed answers, there are indeed some issues, so we can pinpoint some mistakes you are making. The error code of 0xC004F061 means that you haven't actually at any point activated your Windows 8 Pro. Hence, I have further questions:

This is a default key for 8.1, not 8. I need to know what key you used to activate 8. Please clarify.

Also, please let us know how you activated your Win 8 Pro.

Without activating Win 8 Pro (for example with MTK), the procedure doesn't work.

11. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
  12. goldfinger

goldfinger MDL Junior Member

Dec 29, 2010
    I activated one in March and another in May online without problems, but YMMV

13. Majestic

Aug 3, 2008
    #93 Majestic, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    The error code of 0xC004F061 means that you haven't actually at any point activated your Windows 8 Pro. Hence, I have further questions:
    This Key I used to activate the upgraded W8.1_WMC is the same Key that activated the same system when in W8_WMC.

This is a default key for 8.1, not 8. I need to know what key you used to activate 8. Please clarify.
    [COLOR="##0000FF"]Sorry, my mistake. It was xxxxx-CRYQH

Also, please let us know how you activated your Win 8 Pro.
    Edit: Windows 8 Pro was never activated. The system was activated through the back door with the free WMC Key from M$ back in the days during the loophole.

Without activating Win 8 Pro (for example with MTK), the procedure doesn't work.[/QUOTE]
    I can confirmed the same Key is activated numerous time in W8_WMC using slmgr -ipk, and when I upgraded to W8.1_WMC and it failed to accept the Key three times already (each time with new generated tokens), I reinstalled back to W8_WMC and activate successfully again.

Edit: I saw the problem now. I thought when the system is activated I assume W8Pro is also activated.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

14. orca99

orca99 MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    @Majestic,

You indicated how you activated "W8_WMC" numerous times above but the question was "how did you activate W8 Pro (without WMC)?" KMS_pico? MTK? Legit key?

15. Majestic

Aug 3, 2008
    #95 Majestic, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    Oh, I see. Windows 8 Pro was never activated. I will edit the post above.
    Now I have to migrate to MTK which I never touch before.

16. Techiekid

Techiekid MDL Member

Nov 3, 2009
    #96 Techiekid, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    I think it is safe to say the unused wmc promo key wont work, Kelorgo.
    From my discussion with Microsoft tech support, it was pretty conclusive that the unused/un-activated WMC upgrade key from the promo is not valid anymore. So it will not work unless you are just using it as a key to upgrade from an 8.1 pro install to get the WMC app. You must then install your valid pre-activated promo key afterwards before online activation or you'll be left with a not activated OS. Just not advisable to use it all.

It is also very possible to get the "exceeded activation limit" error on personal legit keys, be it pro retail or wmc keys. My own unused windows 7 TechNet key has gotten that error before on a windows 7 laptop. So it can happen to any key basically. Re-activating the key too often could also trigger the system apart form machine ID changes.

This should be common knowledge by now but for those still trying, the WMC keys from the promo are not KMS activated, they are retail keys. The "loophole" that occurred on Windows 8.0 WMC has been closed in Windows 8.1 WMC.

17. S_D

S_D MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2007
    Hi there,

This is really interesting, and I've spent most of the afternoon trying to understand. I got 3 WMC upgrade keys last year, but activated none of them, so obviously they're dead now.

Please forgive me if this has already been asked, but from the OP:

"The procedure (duration 1.5+ hours depending on Internet speed)
    (the use of a Virtual Machine is highly recommended)
    0) Disconnect from the Internet
    1) Install Windows 8 Pro using the Windows 8 Pro KMS client setup key (GVLK) ending J8CK4
    2) KMS activate using Microsoft Toolkit
    3) Use the "Add feature" function to upgrade to WMC, using the Pro WMC default key ending QGJXW
    4) Install the KB2871389 update
    5) Connect to the Internet
    6) Visit the Windows Store and start the Windows 8.1 upgrade
    7) Go have a lunch break, watch a movie or take a nap
    8) Once the Windows 8.1 upgrade completes, the procedure is complete

The result
    You will find a set of activation tokens (data.dat, tokens.dat) in \Windows\System32\spp\store\2.0. Stop SPPSVC, then take a copy of them (data.dat is a hidden file). These are the tokens you are looking for.

What you can do with the tokens (tested and confirmed to work)
    For example, you have a WMC upgrade key that you previously used in Windows 8. On the same PC, you can make a clean installation of Windows 8.1 Pro WMC, insert the tokens you just created, and enter your WMC upgrade key. The key will be accepted and the system is activatable. Sample procedure:
    1) Install Windows 8.1 Pro with default key ending C9WKB
    2) Upgrade to WMC using default key ending JK7QT
    3) Stop SPPSVC
    4) Overwrite the files in \Windows\System32\spp\store\2.0 with the tokens created above
    5) Insert your WMC upgrade key with "slmgr /ipk wmc-upgrade-key" from elevated command prompt
    6) If the WMC upgrade key matches the PC, you can activate online"

The line in red. As I don't have a WMC upgrade key, can I install on the same hardware first Win8 Pro, activate with KMS and then buy the upgrade to WMC from the store in order to obtain and activate the key? Then perform the whole process from scratch:

"0) Disconnect from the Internet
    1) Install Windows 8 Pro using the Windows 8 Pro KMS client setup key (GVLK) ending J8CK4
    2) KMS activate using Microsoft Toolkit
    3) Use the "Add feature" function to upgrade to WMC, using the Pro WMC default key ending QGJXW
    4) Install the KB2871389 update
    5) Connect to the Internet
    6) Visit the Windows Store and start the Windows 8.1 upgrade
    7) Go have a lunch break, watch a movie or take a nap
    8) Once the Windows 8.1 upgrade completes, the procedure is complete

1) Install Windows 8.1 Pro with default key ending C9WKB
    2) Upgrade to WMC using default key ending JK7QT
    3) Stop SPPSVC
    4) Overwrite the files in \Windows\System32\spp\store\2.0 with the tokens created above
    5) Insert your WMC upgrade key with "slmgr /ipk wmc-upgrade-key" from elevated command prompt
    6) If the WMC upgrade key matches the PC, you can activate online"

...as I will then have a valid WMC upgrade key that matches my computer?

Thanks very much!

18. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    If you install a freshly bought WMC upgrade on Win 8 Pro that was activated by KMS, you may or may not be able to activate WMC.

At the start of this year, Microsoft has blocked the ability to activate a WMC upgrade installed on top of a KMS activated Pro. If that block is still in place, then you are out of luck. However, there are some signs to suggest that Microsoft has recently removed or reversed the block in question.

If you think that the WMC upgrade is not too expensive ($15 or something) and you don't mind the possibility of it not working at all, you may as well try it.

Let us know the result!

19. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    yup the block has been removed, I just activated online with free WMC key (once activated earlier) over windows 8 kms

20. binded

binded MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    #100 binded, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    i could not get this to work in vmware 10 for some reason every thing went fine all the way up to installing the update and rebooting and visiting the store but no upgrade
    i did follow the directions as they are in the first post
    i tried with out a ms account nothing i made a new ms account tried again , rebooted tried again nothing
    im back at the point where im reinstalling in vmware again

i used the wzt dvd with vlpro key used mtk i dont see that i missed any thing at all

you dont need to sign in to get the update do you

correction looks like i used kmspico and not mtk

will use this time and see what happens