Windows 8.1 RTM imminent

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TecMan, Aug 3, 2013.

1. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yeah, still people are excited about M$ releases...dunno what's exciting about more and more restrictions and control...and NSA support....pris(on)m. My sad theory seems to be confirmed, people feel uncomfortable with freedom, hence they are excited about restrictions....:):D..nevermind...enjoy M$ W8.1...:holiday::druff:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    The ironic thing is that they think they are helping the businesses by doing this.
    The reality is that the businesses take the advice from the tech ppl and all the tech people are going to say "Keep using win7, this new stuff has some really funky DRM stuff"
    So they're really shooting themselves in the foot by doing this.

4. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    As a retired Correction Officer, I can tell you there is a lot of truth in this statement...sad, but true.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The same here. Sorry for another off topic reply......I am working in a research lab....some people who have the freedom to realize their project completely on their own have problems to start it. They need 'instructions' and assistance how to do it. They even are paralysed and cannot start..too much freedom too many possibilities...

These intructions are of course a restriction since it is one's idea already.....yeah freedom means to make an 'effort' since I have a great variety to explore....in prison I know where anything has its place no effort needed...lol....

6. Populous

Populous MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2010
    Yen, could you please clarify your point of what windows 8.1 will bring no freedom to people? sorry for this but i 'am little out about this ^^ (and sorry for discussing something out of this topic).

7. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Don't see too much restriction on 8 once setup right, have not tried 8.1, but both could only be used on a home PC. For work machines this metro sh!t will never never be installed on my techs machines. If you want to make a tablet interface than do it and create a whole new OS, don't cram it down business machines throat. The whole concept of this stupid interface must be by children that smoke too much. All my offices machines are large or dual monitors that do not require 4" x 4" icons. If MS does not smarten up you will see business switch to a different OS when they finally need to upgrade. Right now win 7 suffices.

Regards

8. MrAnalysis

MrAnalysis MDL Senior Member

Aug 4, 2012

I used to think the same, been using Windows 8.1 for a for a while now and used 8 since early BETA. Must say my view has changed. The live tiles are more than just 4x4 icons. You can have them scrolling information infront of you so taking away the need to search it up. The live tiles can serve as a "live feed" if you wish. The apps business's would likely use (example stock control) can be used on the PC desktop on tablet.

If you wanted to go count some stock and train people to do so, it would be nice for the same system to be on every device. This would keep down training costs and make everything more easy. Give the worker a tablet to count the stock with... The apps the same as the desktop one so whatever they use they are sorted and know where they are and what to do, no extra training means more money to spend on other things. This is just a small example but i see the benefits of a 1 UI fits all. The 1 fits all is the point of Windows 8 and 8.1 IMO. The tiles and stuff are just a small part of this.

Get with the times, they are changing learn to adapt if not get left behind. I remember it feeling strange to use a mouse and thinking it would never catch on.. Hell i even remember the first time i got hold of a DVD thinking lol this wont replace my VHS... Even using good old command line then seeing a GUI for first time.. You will learn to change in time you don't really have a choice.

9. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    On MS local site I sw that W8.1 will be available at the end of this year,not soon...:eek:

10. Populous

Populous MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2010
    Could y provide a link, thanks.

11. Populous

Populous MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2010
    Thanks murphy ;).

12. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Engineers dude we do heavy cals, cad etc, is there an apps for that? As I said big icons for kids.

Will not be changing, will be migrating to a better OS if MS does not get there head out of their A$$. Come see my electronics and machines ..... been building since 286's ............ and ran finite element programs on main frames probably prior to you being born. Learn computing and get with the times. Unbelievable. Computers are not for games for some, how many computers you look after at your business?

Regards

13. eydee

eydee Guest

Please give me a (100% feature rich) metro alternative of
    • MS Office
    • Gimp
    • MS Visual Studio
    • Total Commander
    • Nero
    • 7-zip
    • etc.
    I didn't even list games or multimedia stuff like MPC-HC...

14. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I like the weather app, though it's not extremely useful :p
    The big icon though! OMG it has an exclamation point when there's a severe weather warning!

15. NiFu

NiFu MDL Member

Jun 29, 2013
    I don't like "scrolling information". The scrolling speed is given by the programmer. And in nearly all cases the scrolling speed is:
    • too slow for me - so I have to wait
    • or too fast for me - so I have to wait until the information appears again.
    Not very productive.

More productive is:
    • A button to switch to the next information
    • And a counter which shows how many informations are available and what number of information is shown.

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I did not refer to w8.1 especially.....I mean all (new) products of M$.
    Well, generally one can say no restriction without awareness for it.

It is not w8.1 alone. It is the fact that M$ dominates the market and has created a huge dependence for us and on us, the end user.
    This monopoly situation makes it possible that institutions such as the NSA can make a long time cooperation at all...
    It also makes it possible that other big companies can make 'agreements' which prefer them on the market.
    Keyword: whitelist, only a few manufacturers 'allowed', no freedom of choice, licensing of media, (DRM, codecs...) they work together to strengthen their market position......

Closed source, greed for money, domination by unification of the OSes (each windows looks the same now, RT or others, tablet or desktop).
    The intention of M$ is to increase the dependence of the end user without that the end user recognizes the intention....the user becomes a product, made by M$.....
    Compare w7 to w8....and see what has changed to tie you to M$ and to make money out of you.....

Awareness is needed and hence to make efforts...and you recognize it IF you are willing to make an effort to have a look at the 'other market'.
    Free open source OSes where do they run already? On what devices? What is possible? What means to have unlicensed codecs / media?

To get served concerning desktop OS by just one or two major companies is already a huge restriction.....

I do not want to convince anybody of my opinion, but everybody can understand what I say..when having the right awareness....really exciting is open source, but also sometimes troublesome..it is sad that one needs to make a lot of efforts to get the needed knowledge to enjoy the 'tech freedom' and independence and real privacy which all are possible.....

W7 is better for corporate use...much better...and for workstations without touch screen also...:)

sorry for ot....

17. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #38 CODYQX4, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

18. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    ..if I recall correctly, that was one of the reasons I joined this forum way back then LOL...and still concur wholeheartedly - well said ;)

19. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    We should all follow this and respect other's views as we would like them to respect ours. Being nice is not all that hard.