Windows 8 contacts cache exposes personal data.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Yen, May 11, 2012.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #2 Yen, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
    (OP)
    My comment...
    M$ says windows 8 will come with new implemented security features, such as secure boot, measured boot, ELAM.
    Also TPM and M$ is a major member of the UEFI forum.

All these M$ tries to sell as to be a completely new innovation of security for the end user, the consumer.
    Everything will be safer and more secure. Malware will have no more possibility.

M$ plays the saviour. M$ is here to protect you, to care about you, the end user with new technologies!!

Come on and wake up!

Do you still believe that? All they secure and protect are their ways to make money. Their monopoly! (UEFI, secure boot, measured boot trusted platform module, ELAM) Made for your benefit???

They don’t give a damn on you, the consumer, the end user.

The article from above shows up that in fact they don’t care about security of personal data.
    They spend millions for the development of copy protections, activations, UEFI, ELAM, TPM.
    But they didn’t even spend one second to make your private data such as contacts safe.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Oh yes, please post the results, I am interested. I don't have w8 installed.

People are important who notice about such issues. Only then M$ will be forced to fix it until RTM...in fact it are those people who make windows safer.

4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    It's pretty plain text indeed... I can send you my file in PM if you want.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No, thanks Stannieman. Thanks for the offer, though. The fact that it's plain text is embarrassing enough for a company who develops OSes for more than 20 years. A signed bootloader seems by far more important to them.
    One thing is clear...M$'es interests and priorities are first theirs and then later those of the end users if at all. Why do they store these data (locally) at all....

6. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Yen,

I expect this to be fixed in the upcoming RC of Windows 8. We must all remember that Windows 8 is still in its beta stages.
    There bound to be things that are not perfect or plain stupid.

The local storage is for the end user and that he/she can easily access things. Having written that, it is very clear that these things should be encrypted at all times. Most likely this is a mayor slip up from a developer. We also might conclude that the concept of Secure Coding hasn't been in every developers mind at Microsoft.

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Oh, dear...

Again!!!

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Jachra, I think this is more than blue-eyed. (no offence, though)
    Secure coding is always in their mind, it has first priority, but only when it's related to own benefit! And that means to restrict, to exclude potential competitors to remain their monopoly.
    They don't care about you! They don't care about your privacy and personal data.

We are talking about data which are related to social networking. How can there be any advantage when locally stored?

Would M$ change a thing if nobody cares about their freedom and privacy?

9. socrates007

socrates007 MDL Junior Member

Oct 10, 2011
    @Yen,

Truer words have never been spoken. You are right on the money my friend! :thumbsup:

10. socrates007

Oct 10, 2011
    @Jachra,

You are too kind my friend. Yen is absolutely right that M$ could care less about the end users. Their own greed and control are the only things that matter to them. This is no slip up, but just the arrogant and evil attitude of M$.

11. lysy.lbn

lysy.lbn MDL Member

Apr 20, 2011
    #13 lysy.lbn, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
    You should remember, it's still beta and that what beta is for, to test and find mistakes..

BTW. Apple isn't any better, smiliar thing happens in their latest (final) Mac OS Lion, but with all user passwords which are saved in log as plain text..

Why bother anyway.. If someone is able to hack into Your computer, then probably will find a lot more interesting for him stuff.. And you'll be screwed anyway.. lol

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    One security issue doesn't justify another, lol.
    Well let's see when they fix it.

13. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
  14. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
  15. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    No offense taken. :biggrin:
    Oh, but they do care about my personal data. Ever wonder what they can use it for? ;)
    But there can be a win-win scenario here. Better, secure software and operating system(s) can lead to a higher profit for Microsoft. And the end user can feel save.

Faster loading, just plain and simple. That is what caching is all about.

Yes, they would, but I am not sure if it will be for the better. :p

16. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Oh, but Microsoft does care about the end users. No end users, no profit. Their greed comes from the world we live in. And control, which closed-software company doesn't want that? Even Google and Apple wants that to a degree.

17. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    There are advantages of caching. First of all it's indeed faster, 2nd you can already add the contact you cant to send a mail to even when you're not online. In other mail clients there is also a contacts list.

18. socrates007

Oct 10, 2011
    I didn't think you were that naive Jachra. M$ does NOT care about end users as their behavior has clearly demonstrated that over and over during the last couple of decades. They get their profit by creating monopolies and using highly unethical business practices. Maybe you don't know that much about the business operations of M$, and also about Bill Gates for that matter (especially in his early days). You are correct that M$ cares about greed, just not about how they get it.