Windows 8 CPU Feature Patch (Bypass Windows 8 CPU feature checks)

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Jan1, Aug 3, 2013.

1. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Jan1 told us, that patching x64 W8-1 is just experimental feature (you will be able to run W8-1 x64 on your system until some of those instructions are executed)...

MS guys are mad, on one side they design OS for idiots, on the other side user has to find out, if his computers supports LAHF-SAHF... :][

2. KTT

KTT MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2007
    I repack install.wim with GimageX. Copy ntoskrnl.exe from \windows\system32 to another folder, start W8CPUFeaturePatch and click "Remove various CPU feature checks in Windows 8.1 x64". The result is "patch failed, patch location not found". Both files ntoskrnl.exe and ntoskrnl.exe.back are identical. What am I doing wrong?
    Tanks in advance.

P.S. I have no problems with Windows 7 or 8.0. My processor support PAE, NX, SSE2. Only Windows 8.1 refuse to install.

3. thej82

thej82 MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2012
    I used W8CPUFeaturePatch.exe from "Windows 8 Patches v1.4.7z" to "Remove SSE2 and NX check" from ntoskrnl.exe and to "Remove winload patchguard x86" from winload.exe in a "Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1" x86 wim image.
    I also set the BCD option nointegritychecks to On.
    I created a WinPE ISO and tested in "Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1" in "Windows 7 Ultimate SP1" on a "P4 3.4 GHz Northwood Extreme Edition".

I only modified ntoskrnl.exe and winload.exe in wim file.

File: \windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Info: The operating system couldn't be loaded because the digital signature of a file couldn't be verified.

Any ideas?

4. Allo

Allo MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks, installed x86 instead to save myself from doing repeated patching due to future hotfixes/ updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    To change drive letters should be possible with disk management tool.

Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. In the left pane, click Disk Management.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Ice1374

Ice1374 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2013
    MS released some patches for Windows 8.1 at 17/10/13 and target files needs to be patched again.

7. daoskar

daoskar MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    Patch working, you need to patch the effect. My windows - 1. install update, 2. patch 3. crash, 4. patch, 5. install update again (on windows boot), 6. crash, 7. Patch, 8. Success !! System Startup Again :) (Sorry my English).

8. FizDart

FizDart MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2013
    Hi all, I have working Windows 8.1 on my Pentium 4 PC, and want to thank devs for their efforts to create this patch. ;)

But there is one problem, then I try advanced reboot to recovery, command line and etc., PC reboots and windows shows 0x000000a error message. So it checks cpu features in some other files, I guess, and fails. :confused:
    Maybe someone know how to fix this? Thanks

9. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    FizDart, that would be a flag missing in the bootstore. If I remember, the flag is set only for normal boot but not for safe or commandline boot.
    This is just a wild guess, perhaps others can elaborate.

Cheers.

10. FizDart

FizDart MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2013
    Man thanks for clue, it may work, but I don't know what particular flag is required to bypass cpu check while booting in recovery mode.
    Has anyone experience on this?

11. den777d

den777d MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2013
    It's all cool!but I don't have install.wim in sources ..I have install.esd .How can i aply this patch?

12. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    #76 Supern00b, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You can see how it is set by doing this (open command prompt as admin):

Code:
    C:\boot>bcdedit.exe /enum all
    The default entry should have the "NoIntegrityChecks" set.
    In fact, you may edit any bootstore if you specify the location first. This is done by adding the "/store" parameter.

Cheers.

13. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    You didn't understand. You don't patch the .wim or .esd file, you first apply them to the destination drive and only then you patch the files that need to be patched.
    Use any WinPE like environment to do that.

Cheers.

14. FizDart

FizDart MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2013
    #78 FizDart, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Tried bcdedit /enum all and it shows nointegritychecks Yes. As I said windows is booting normally, but when I try recovery boot it shows 0x000000A error. I'm almost sure that recovery mode boots from another file then windows itself (ntoskrnl.exe I guess) the question is that, what file is needed to boot recovery?
    Has anyone successfully booted to Wndows 8 (8.1) recovery mode in pc without NX support?
    Share your experience.Thanks

15. darkon11

darkon11 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2009
    It keeps saying :
    Patch failed, patch location not found.

What's wrong ?

It patched windload patchguard x64 anyway.

16. FizDart

FizDart MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2013
    1.Take Ownership of windows 8 /system32 dir;
    2.delete all *.bak files in /system32;
    3.run patch program as administrator;

Hope it helps