Windows 8 preinstalled licenses, AKA OA2.2 and OA3.0

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Yen, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    If OA3Tool.exe leaks, can't we then submit our own key/hwhash to MS' servers?

EDIT: And why is the whole UEFI circus required?
    Can't OEMS just give the hardware hashes of all the manufactured machines to MS? It's simpler and just as safe I think, but without the UEFI stuff. And then just use the default key (only because windows freaks out without key installed).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    I would think they would catch on to that pretty darn quick.

3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    That's true...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

UEFI is no requirement for OA3.0.

Lol, even if one could submit a key / hash, one firstly has to demand a valid one from the OEM key server.

5. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Oh yes I forgot about that the key server...

But about the UEFI thing, I should state it better. Why is the MSDM circus required?

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Well that what you call circus seems to be demanded by the OEMs.
    Why? I guess they want 2 ways. One that activates automatically as soon as it's online (for the 'ordinary user' and will again after each fresh install) and a second if the first doesn't work or has become invalidated due too many hw changes.

The COA sticker's serial alone would be sufficient to activate, though.

7. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    I have also noticed that some characters are omitted from current product keys like the letter O and the number 0
    or letter I and the number 1, having the MSDM table allows MS to use the characters that could be mistaken for
    one another without causing a support headache for OEM's from angry customers that calling in cause they cant
    activate their new computer. I had this problem with a Windows 98 disk had a 0 in it and I always got it wrong
    when re-installing. the added benefit is that the product key portion of the MSDM has an undefined length so MS
    can use longer product keys when needed.

8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    That's not really what I mean.
    It has nothing to do with the COA or confusable characters. Who does the table needs to be in the bios/uefi?
    They can just use 1 dummy key for all OEMs in the world and only activate on hwhash. The OEM sends the hash for every built machine to MS, then when the PC comes online it also sends it's hash. Match -> Activated! No need for any MSDM or anything... The only thing that the MSDM adds is a unique key for each machine, but the hash is already unique so I don't see why unique keys are required.

9. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    It's not that easy - hash may vary slightly when customer makes non-critical HW changes, so MS server would first look at unique key and associated stored hash value and then compare it with the current one - if the difference isn't critical, it will re-activate if user will re-install OS for some reason.

10. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    There you have a point yes.

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It's not really a point. You can determine which hardware will be hashed as a specification of the license. This would mean those components cannot be changed.
    I'd determine the MAC address of the network adapter LAN, which is usually onboard (requirement to activate online) and lets say the motherboard serial, or the UUID.
    So one could change anything, but the mainboard.

To me it's not quite clear why they have an SLP channel at all. A COA channel only would be OK.
    You get a sticker with a unique serial, such as the retail version. You switch on your w8 lego machine at first time and you enter the serial you've got with your PC / notebook / tablet, where is a problem???

12. Mr Been

Mr Been MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2008
    how do I activate my Windows 8 if I have no internet access??

13. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Windows 8 is specifically designed for 24/7 internet access (the live login stuff etc). You can get around this, but you still need to activate.

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    AFAIK there is no way to activate it through SLP cannel without internet.
    Not sure if there is a phone activation using the COA serial on the sticker....w8 is made for online 'matters', to buy apps, to sell your private data, lol...

15. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Indeed, in the Windows 8 (6.2.9200.16384) pkconfig.xrm-ms file there is no longer any reference to OEM:SLP channel keys for Windows 8 products. For the windows Server 2012 family a few OEM:SLP channels still seem to exist

16. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Microsoft has to make clear EULA for collecting, processing, handling, handing over user data (too much personal data) to spy/govt. agencies. The Windows 8 makes life easier for common users, but at the same time make more difficult for privacy conscious users.

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

Yes, they should get OA2.2, an updated SLIC.

18. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    Ameria-cans are stupid and by the age of 30 have lost the the ability to learn, and possess no critical thinking skills.
    An OEM will have to provide a DVD on how to find and enter the S/N on the COA, and the call center will still be flooded
    with idiots calling because they cant figure it out. This is why we must to import all our engineers from other countries
    via the H1b visa.

If you have ever worked in customer service in the USA you know this to be true.

and is the reason for the new Windows 8 UI (pic related windows 9 UI).

19. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Is there any sign of KMS keys ?

Will Enterprise and Server be OA2.2 or will there still be KMS activation ?

20. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yah, lots of gvlk keys are in product.ini ;)