Windows 8 preinstalled licenses, AKA OA2.2 and OA3.0

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Yen, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Unless you do some online check (some MS downloads require it) it won't check online anymore.

And the phone activation doesn't mattar. It also requires MS' interaction so it's the same as online retail activation. Both need MS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sauronxxx

sauronxxx MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    that was not a question because of bypassing the activation.
    it was more about legal use. there are companys who have systems that are offline for a good reason.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Companies never use OA3.0 licenses. They use MAK or KMS licenses. Most even don't want to activate against M$, so they run their KMS and activate each client through their local network. Companies are using volume licenses.

OA3.0 installations contain a lot of bloatware (trial versions of Applications) and are full of ads. Such licenses are made for end users which are not very experienced PC users who want to buy a PC /notebook / tablet and the OS together. Hence they use pre-installed PC systems.
    They simply need to plug in LAN and to switch on the machine....it will complete its installation by activating automatically at M$.

Anyway I don't have exact info about....the COA serial which comes additionally with each OA system usually activates via phone as well....not sure what's about w8....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    No COA I thought...
    But even if you there's no GUI part for phone activation, I think you still can with slmgr.

5. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Yen,

That is not entirely true. COA systems are used within companies. Some come through a third party vendor which highly specialized systems with COA Operating Systems. And there are those systems that maybe get activated once every two to three years.
    Hence companies around the world will use OA3.0 licenses.

6. sauronxxx

sauronxxx MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    big companys maybe.
    i worked for a few companys with 15-30 employees and they did not use KMS or volume license.

7. studio

studio MDL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    well i hope that win8 is not the next me / vista / anything else M$ rls that is crap
    but this is great news for slic people hope a server leaks :)

8. ilikepie

ilikepie MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    Thanks OP best write-up I've ever read.

9. Kikoo

Kikoo MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Surely cheap, but sufficient? There might be room for exploits, remember Intel's early UEFI.

10. octoberasian

octoberasian MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    Mmm, let me get this straight:

Windows 8 can no longer be activated offline now as was done with Windows 7 with the OEM key, SLIC modded BIOS, certificate installation, and "slmgr" command?

11. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    That is correct.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Smaller companies, probably.
    Companies that have network infrastructure are using installation servers with customized setups for their needs. OA3.0 licenses are inflexible since they only ship with new hardware and cannot be installed through the network.

13. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Big companies also. Indeed, most desktops and laptops are done through installation servers at big companies. But there are some systems that come straight with OEM license and specialized software. It does happen, but are not that much in the overall picture.

14. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    For Windows 8 there will be 2 OEM channels:

OEM: DM
    OEM: NONSLP

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

I guess OEM: DM is OA3.0 and NONSLP is system builder license. So no OEM:COA?

16. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Correct. pkeyconfig only lists OEM:DM and OEM:NONSLP for Windows 8; OEM:SLP and OEM:NONSLP for Server 2012.

Interestingly, it also lists OEM:DM, Volume:GVLK, and even Retail for the ARM version.

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #117 Yen, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    There is one COA listed, though. Hmm... I wonder how the OA3.0 people re-activate their PC when they have changed too much hardware...according to 'my' info they should have an alternative serial on the machine....second OEM: DM key...?

Code:
    <Configuration>  <ActConfigId>{793fbec3-7313-469e-bfd3-938123de3e85}</ActConfigId> 

<RefGroupId>1061</RefGroupId> 

<EditionId>ServerWeb</EditionId> 

<ProductDescription>WinServer Next ServerWeb OEM:COA</ProductDescription> 

<ProductKeyType>OEM:COA</ProductKeyType> 

<IsRandomized>false</IsRandomized> 

</Configuration>

18. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Perhaps the COA will have an OEM:NONSLP key? I'm sure there will have to be another key that can be activated, since in some jurisdictions customers are legally permitted to sell their OEM licenses separately from the machine.

I think the one OEM:COA in pkeyconfig might be from another prerelease version. Anyway, it doesn't apply to Windows 8 or Server 2012.

19. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Every consumer in every country within the European Union has the right to resell the software separately. Microsoft can't ignore this. They don't want another case with the European Union.

20. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Also there is the issue of using OEM/System Builder licensing on virtualized hardware (per Microsoft, this is now permissible explicitly, including in the US and Canada) - how will activation for VMs be done? I doubt very seriously that OEM/COA will completely go away for this reason alone.