Windows 8 preinstalled licenses, AKA OA2.2 and OA3.0

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Yen, Jun 20, 2012.

1. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    If Windows 8 has no OEM/COA builds, then that licensing will only apply to older Windows versions.

Also, Microsoft based VM solutions per-activate most OEM installs, and COA keys can be activated by phone as usual.

2. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Usually when I clean up a new PC I backup the certificate, reinstall and activate via slmgr.....
    I hope backing up tokens.dat on OEM machines will still work to reactivate after reinstall
    this also means no free upgrade from "basic" to pro :(

3. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Will work for sure, but it's kind of pointless, cause there shouldn't be any problems to re-activate fresh OS re-install on a legal OEM machine on-line through MS as many times as you need - it should work automatically if there's i-net connection. (Only if you plan to block MS from reaching you or to never go on-line for some reason?)
    Yep, no illegal "free" upgrade in case of from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro,
    as they don't use generic SLP keys.

4. manu198045

manu198045 MDL Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Dear Yen,

Does this OA 3.0 has backward support to OA 2.1? I mean windows 8 installed systems can be downgraded to windows 7. If any customer requests, the oem has to downgrade to win 7 right? If so then Slic 2.1 should be there with OA 3.0? I don't know it may sound foolish. Can you explain this? Sorry for trouble.

Regards

Manu

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. shntat

shntat MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2009
    i have a oa3 key i dont know how to use it yet
    /file/afen3v on send space

not install or activation key

7. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    No, that's not a valid key.

8. shntat

shntat MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2009
    what kind of key is it ?

9. asabater

asabater MDL Member

Sep 6, 2008
    #130 asabater, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  10. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #131 Stannieman, Aug 11, 2012
    That would be pretty stupid from MS. I think the build report needs to be signed by the OEM or something like that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #132 Yen, Aug 11, 2012
    (OP)

And from where would one get the key? lol.
    The OEMs have two platform servers. One is a OA3.0 key server and one a OA3.0 reporting server. And I guess they are reachable only through local net with authentication.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    The whole mechanism was sold to OEM's pushing the fact that leaked keys can be revoked in real-time. You create/steal a key they blacklist it and the OEM does not lose a licence/money

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It's not quite right. ;)
    If one could perfectly mimic the original machine by using the 'borrowed serial' then M$ cannot blacklist the key (doesn't notice that it has been stolen) without to affect the original license since there is no difference at all.

14. woebetide

woebetide MDL Member

May 28, 2007
    #135 woebetide, Aug 14, 2012
    Code:
    OEM Activation Tool 3.0
    (c) Copyright 2011 Microsoft Corp.

Version: 6.2.9200

OA3Tool.exe {  /Assemble
                     | /Report
                     | /Return }
                     /Configfile=<configfile_name_and_path>

DESCRIPTION:
        The OEM Activation Tool 3.0 assembles, reports, and returns a unique
        identifier used for the activation of OEM computers, while on the factory
        floor. The identifier is based on several things, including the product
        key, the hardware hash, your OEM ID, and any additional OEM and Microsoft
        information, including language, programs, and so on.

OEM Activation Tool 3.0 OPTIONS:
        /Assemble   - Retrieves the product key value from the Key Provider,
                      and then assembles the MSDM binary file (OA3.bin) and
                      the XML (OA3.xml) file.
        /Report     - Creates the OA3.xml and generates the hardware hash, and
                      reports the OEM Activation Tool 3.0 information back to the
                      Key Provider.
        /Return     - Returns the OEM Activation Tool 3.0 information to the Key
                      Provider.

CONFIGURATION FILE INFORMATION:
        /Configfile - Specifies the name and location of your OEM Activation 3.0
                      Tool configuration file. This file includes your Key Provider
                      information and the destination location for your OA3.bin and
                      OA3.xml files.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, the oa3tool is publically available and found in the RTM ADK, although without a config.xml

16. swahegenauer

swahegenauer MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2012
    Your post was very helpful. You know your sh*t

17. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    To perfectly mimic the original machine would include the Computer Build Report etc. The fact that activation is no longer offline means that the clone would still be required to activated against MS servers. MS will have records of Multiple activations. If you only have access to 1 borrowed serial and clone it multiple times the OEM recalls 1 machine from inventory and multiple clones fail to activate. If you had access to multiple keys and cloned them then recalling them creates a major problem with the OEM's inventory.

Leaking the entire database of an OEM and activating the clones before the rightful customer purchases and activates is just a little to destructive for my taste.

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You are pointing out the entire 'issue'. These are the reasons why OA3.0 will be no more way as a activation method for the masses.
    There are still people out there who believe there will be a new loader or a new way to modify BIOSes / EFI.
    But exactly what you have posted are the reasons for it that it won't work that way anymore.

And a leak of the database can be excluded for sure and would reveal a massive security problem for M$ and the OEMs.
    The major issue then would be that M$ would get massive bad news and bad reputations.

Anyway there is one fact: Let's assume one has cloned the machine perfectly and activates it. Then we have the second activation (attempt). The servers don't know if the legit machine has been reinstalled and asks for its second (re)activation or if a clone asks...invalidation would always affect the legit machine a well.

19. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    I agree OA3 will close the door on SLP activation unless Microsoft has left a major flaw in the system. I am looking at KMS server emulation on a virtual machine. The application type KMS activator is a possible option but will probably be flagged as Malware in the long run and be quarantined on the client operating system.