Windows 8 to contain "new" antipiracy technology

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RedSpider, Mar 29, 2010.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    What we have is a news item at a point of time, and employment opportunities at that point in time. Surely a company like MS would have hired many people over many years and for most of their products, but still it gets hacked. So what is new. It is not that MS has now woken up and decided to stop hacking (as if they were not doing anything prior to this article).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    Ms has try to stop this all the way back to win 98 and it same old story for every new release Windows 8 turn. To stop this is easy retail keys and non slp keys for Oem's

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Surely this is not the first initiative by MS, and surely this position always existed. It could be that some person in this post left (or was fired), a new person has to be hired, and the adv. only says what is expected of him. Something new for a software company that relies on `soft' ware for its existence??. Improvement in anti-hacking tools is inevitable, and so is the innovation from the other side.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    My two cents:

I'm absolutely sure that W8 will contain new antipiracy technology. XP used a simple string, Vista and W7 a SLICtable...W8?
    The main question is if M$ will stick to the OEM_SLP licensing! If yes, they have to provide a easy licensing procedure and a new antipiracy technologie....therefore at least will be tools / binaries available which sooner or later will be leaked.....

If the OEM_SLP licensing becomes obsolete...and the OS will be delivered online only...TCP /IP v6, unique ID for everybody..to download individual modules directly at M$, depends on what you have payed for...activates only against your IPv6 and PC hardware ID's which will be scanned at installation and send to M$ for authentification.....

Unique will be the word.........
    Don't know if that will be true at W8 already.......
    What I fear: The need of humans to control and spy on something will be raising..this tendency you can notice about in our society.
    Not only at PC stuff....the PC stuff and technology makes it possible! Even Politicians claim to use that technology. The reason for them is the need to protect the people.

To take control of a group (to spy on it) and to claim protection and safety for an other group! Looks that familiar? The good ones are spying, but only to make the world safer and more lawful....

5. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    haha..daz n hazar can crack it

6. SparrowUnit

SparrowUnit MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2010
    By the time W8 comes along, there will be laws that consider pirates as terrorists. If you get caught, you can go to prison without trial.

7. mr-roboto

mr-roboto MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2008
    Yen's post is probably the most troubling for those who really care about this [W8] subj. However, [a partially supported] XP will be with us til 2014 and [a fully supported] W7 will be avail for several years beyond that, so what's the big whoop ? I also have a challenge for this proposed OS: how would a piece of software distinguish between a legitimate virtual host and an illegitimate virtual host ? That is, I suspect virtualization might be the answer to overwhelm any future anti-hacker solution the same way chaff can confuse a radar.

Just a thought....

8. zizi

zizi MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    Where did you get this info ? Don't talk non-sense , Keep quite !

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    IMO Apple and Linux are no real alternatives for common users.

Before the infrastructure allows to virtualize, M$ simply could cancle the SLP licensing and switch over to COA_SLP..means no more loader no more biosmod..all licenses have to be activated against M$ server. Also they could improve protecting the KMS server activation.

What will be with the pirates then?

I myself couldn't understand why M$ didn't cancle the OEM_SLP licensing at W7....instead of they introduced WAT which makes them a lot trouble....:rolleyes:

M$ must be a slave to the OEMs....

10. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #30 FreeStyler, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    True, And i believe it is exactly that what forces MS to use some-kind of 'simple' activation technique.
    A OEM delivers a complete out of the box solution, in your sketched scenario the users must activate the installed OS themeselves with current OEM licensing this would mean the OEM is responsible to supply support, which is insane because the OEM has no "activation" server/knowledge/specific activation support, result the user is forced to use MS servers. So either the complete support licensing changes from OEM to MS or they keep some-kind of simple activation technique for OEM's to use.

11. nutzlos

nutzlos MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2008
    Another two cents:

Lets be honest, my bet is that far over 90% of the people using loaders,
    hacks and whatever to activate their windows have no idea what they are doing.
    Not only that their sources (AIO`s, black,blue,red editions) are dangerous, their are far to many manipulated loaders out there.
    Some of these people are part of a botnet before they have finished installing and are, as far as i am concerned, dangerous.

Microsoft please turn off those pc´s.

Regards

12. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    It probably goes far beyond that. In fact after seeing what the KMS emulator can do i think the whole online-activation system may well be the weakest link in the entire chain, only that nobody has realized it yet. After all the way an online-activation works is generally simple; node A exchanges some data with node B and in the end it all comes down to a simple response that tells the system "Activate". Where that response ultimately comes from is unimportant as long as the data-exchange is correct, so if one could reconstruct:

...then one would own the whole system.

ZWT have already proven that it is technically possible by making an emulated server for the KM-Service. And since Microsoft probably uses something similar for the online-activations i dont see why it shouldnt be possible in that case too. After all if the responses to sppsvcs requests match exactly what a real Microsoft server would return there would be no way for the system to tell that it is really communicating with something else. The result would therefore be an activated system, just as if sppsvc had been communicating with a real Microsoft server.

In my opinion this might well turn out to be a real danger yet because all it takes is for somebody to figure it out. And what that would mean to Microsoft probably goes without saying. There would be no joy in Redmond. It would hit them so where it hurts, because once you loose online-activation as a reliable option, what other means would you have if you wanted at least some form of remote control over the product? Obviously none at all, so they better do hope that the next activation-server emulator is not for more than just KMS activations...

13. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Your all wrong, Windows 8 will be DNA specific, we will have to start cloning ourselves before we can clone windows again.

14. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #35 timesurfer, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    So basically MS is creating jobs with the whole new need for cloning while at the same time producing potential dangerous mutated creatures which in turn in combination with A.I. ends up creating a terminator/cylon/matrix end of the world like scenario...lol Thanks a lot MS...lol

MS + Organic OS = Armageddon...lol

The prophecy has been fulfilled...lol