Windows 8 why?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pyrros aatu, Oct 4, 2011.

1. pyrros aatu

pyrros aatu MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2011
    Why are they even developing windows 8?it is just windows 98 with a decent looking interface.Lets all boycott windows 8 until Microsoft decides to create a decent operating system such as windows xp was.Also if you do support the development of windows 8 then please tell the rest of the world why through the forum.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    They are developing W8, because M$ is a company in a capitalistic country. And all companies in a capitalistic world need to grow every year. They need to pay their employees. And even more the bosses, which already have got millions need some millions more.

One great exception is Bill Gates. He donates a lot of his money and has got that huge amount of saved money nobody really helps. He cannot spend all the money to buy stuff for himself. His life is too short therefore.
    So he got that the only way to do something useful with it and to give something back is to donate most of his money for e.g. Malaria research.
    Bill is a good (ex) M$ guy, probably the only one.

In fact nobody needs w8. It also looks ugly and the workflow is worse. IMO M$ is not able to realize the way how humans are working. I ever had problems to figure how something is working. It is not logical to me. Office 2010 is the best example. I wanted to open a document and just add numbers to the pages to count all, except the first one....I had given it up.

M$ dosen't reflect the user. It seems to me that they don't ask the users how they like to work. They just program some changes...to say they did something new something great.

When I buy a product I want to use it right after it. And if I shouldn't understand how to perform a single step I consult the built in help. But you can forget about it. The 'help' is absolutely useless, no matter when using Excel or Word. Some examples at the help section of Excel even don't work when copied and pasted!!!
    Examples which are made to explain how something should work, simply don't work! This is embarrassing!
    Instead of M$ offers another book about how to use Office, just to make more money.

I am self-taught. I study many things at home and I am not stupid.
    I started here as Admin, I had no clue how to work with the forums software, php, CSS, html...but I am able to now.
    But I ever had problems with M$ products! It takes me too much time to get the steps, so I don't use them at home.

Totally different is Adobe Photoshop, for instance. It is a very powerful program, but you are able to work with it. Step by step you learn more. The Adobe developers have got how humans are working. They are able to create an excelent workflow and a fantastic help option.
    PS is the best program regarding workflow. Adobe shows that it is possible to design a programm with many many features in a way we can get it.

It is time to get a second real alternative to M$ OS! More than 20 years we have to use what M$ has to offer. This has to stop.
    I don't support M$, I will skip W8. But if there will be no competitor the time will come again that I have to get another OS from M$, because I have no other choice.

Everybody who supports a monopolist, supports delay of developement. Competition is good for business!
    I have stopped to support M$ since windows 3.11. Unfortunately I need M$ products for work, luckily my employer pays all the licenses....it is like the pest. I can't get rid of M$ products.

PS: Apple is even worse. Their stuff is even more restricted (hardware) and far overpriced. This is no alternative.

The only alternative is Linux and Linux based OSes...I hope Android will make its way...and finally reach the desktop PCs

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Windows XP was good for its time but god stop bring back the dead the x64 version was a load of crap.

4. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Yen, I think when you say "workflow is worse" you mean metro. I agree and I disabled it. With the desktop gui, WDP is no different from 7 except some new stuff like iso mounting.

If MS really packs on some great productivity features- say protogon is awesome fast, then I'll think of moving to 8.

5. mdtauk

mdtauk MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Microsoft believe Touch based computing (NUI) is the future, just like the mouse brought us the GUI. So they are moving towards an OS which is designed around touch, whilst still supporting more traditional Mouse and Keyboard usage.

Also Apple have proven there are many many people out there who find computing too complicated, and want a simpler experience. So in order to stop Windows becoming obsolete and ignored by these new users, and new ways to use a computer, they are implementing new ideas in Windows, to make it work for the new future coming.

6. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    I agree that Windows help is no help at all, every time you have problem with windows or other M$ products, you better know how to troubleshoot and solve it yourself...

Every company wants to make money, the easier way for them to do is to modify, change a little bit here and there, then sell them as new products and raise the prices. Good examples would be some new cars and m$ office.

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    This was something I was wondering, beyond the financial gains I see no valid reason. I hope Win 8 flops but that won't happen, Microsoft have many sheep ready to hand over their cash for a product that doesn't deserve it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. kvic

kvic MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2007
    Bravo YEN I totally agree I for one will bypass w8 as I see it as another M$ windows ME.

9. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    To compete with Apple and Google!

10. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    They're trying to turn our desktop PCs into big honkin' smartphones!!!

11. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Why is everybody getting so agitated about the UI? Its completely disablable in WDP and if MS plays mean and doesn't provide a respectable way to do it in the beta onwards, some smart chap always will. After that? Then we need to look at what 8 offers compared to 7 apart from appearances.

12. Windows4live

Windows4live MDL Addicted

Jan 31, 2011
    Because i want a new Windows version.
    So they make a new release :D

13. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    Totally agree with you, Yen and canouna.
    But, this is the market, they invest in marketing, developing (even developing useless stuff) but at the end they spend money. So, they have to earn.

IMHO, the amount of gain will be equal to the amount of useful things they do. So, if win 8 is just some modified win 98 or whatever, they will not earn much (people think and consider before buying). The proof is there are companies (who are the big source of outcome for M$), are just turned to use win XP and maybe they still use win 98.

Really, I'm in bad need to see a decent new competitor in the market. We have to try different technology, not what M$'s engineers do.

Nevertheless, I thank M$ for giving us OS free (i.e. easy to leak :shisha:). I know companies never bought a M$ product, they use pirated and illegal serials and maybe cr**ks.

14. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Because i'm tired of using apple computers at the library:worthy:

15. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    I thought you were the Apple/Google guy.:D

16. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    jayblok, did you assemble the PC yourself?:D