Windows 8 why?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pyrros aatu, Oct 4, 2011.

1. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    yea yea :p

2. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Why is Microsoft making Windows 8? well for a start, new hardware comes out, its better than continually patching an old system and adding new support.

Why buy a new car? why not just patch and change parts on your old car if you want to keep up? why buy that new 55 inch TV ('Windows 8') TV when the old 20 inch non-widescreen TV ('Windows 98') still works? Why go from a 32 inch HD Widescreen TV ('Windows XP') to that 55 inch?

Why buy new clothes when the the old ones still cover you? Why make interesting food products, and bring out new ones, when you can get by on the basics? You can apply the logic to anything in life. True, it might sound capitalist bring out new products like Windows 8, but whats the alternative to capitalism? they certainly aren't any better off! I should point out some countries with different political ideologies that criticise capitalism and the West are now where they are due to becoming somewhat capitalist themselves. I won't name those countries, but the answer is pretty straight forward!

3. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    LOL I find this stupendously funny. You're on a site that are using pirated version of Windows and you're not even paying a single penny and you want to boycott?

4. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Funny, I could swear this site uses vBulletin. :rolleyes: :D

6. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    #29 FaiKee, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    Yes, because in zuko time, the Russians are ahead of everybody, now everybody is ahead of the Russians.

:p

(joke too)

7. Windows4live

Windows4live MDL Addicted

Jan 31, 2011
    ZUKO is back? You have contact?

8. luky

luky MDL Addicted

Dec 21, 2008
    Win95 NO s**t.

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Ermmm. Tell me what M$ could not achieve via windowsupdate? Almost every day new hardware comes out.
    W8 is not more than an updated w7! Built on old program code…kernel 6.x!
    And what else M$ is doing but continually patching an old system?

I can tell you why they interrupt the updates periodically! To have a reason to pack all together, offered as a new OS.

Most of us are doing that. To buy a new car every time when I need new brake discs would be more than stupid. Also when having a car accident with slight car body damage…..
    Most of use don’t buy a new car every year…..

To compare the size of a screen (physical parameter) with a OS (software) is questionable.
    When buying a TV with a bigger screen I get a bigger screen which is more pleasure to view.
    What actually can W 7 perform what W XP cannot? (If you should find something then it is a feature that M$ intentionally skipped at XP to construct a reason for an upgrade).

I do not condemn capitalism, I condemn monopoly. We have many different brands at clothes, screens, food products....but regarding M$ one OS for X86 / X64 CPUs only.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Makcalable

Makcalable MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2011
    Ummm, well personally I think Windows 8 is a great OS even now as the Preview Build, and as to why... well although the fact Windows 7 is the best thing since Windows XP I still think that Microsoft is still behind the technological race whereas windows 8 will just put Microsoft back on the score board so to speak.

Windows 8 is going to be revolutionary, I have been using it now for almost 2 weeks and I can honestly say that it is a WOW operating system from when I first logged in. But as it stands right now I do think that Windows 8 has been designed for a Tablet/Slate and not an Desktop or Laptop, I think they have focused far to much on developing windows 8 for the tablet and you can see for your self just by experiencing windows 8 on a desktop. It is the fact that you are unable to utilize the full potential on a desktop, there are functions and feature that are not being able to use but on the tablet you can experience everything windows 8 has to offer and for me this was disappointing to say the least, it is like they are moving away from the desktop computer which is pretty scary when you think about it because I just do not like the so called Tablets.

Also from what I have heard Microsoft are going to be doing away with the Windows 8 Start menu, now whether they mean the windows 8 Start screen I am not entirely sure and this is because it isn't that user friendly on the desktop or laptop. Do you not kind of agree though that they have been focussing on designing windows 8 for the tablet and totally forgot about the desktop and laptops?

At the same time I do think Windows 7 will be here for a very very long time too, although I may purchase Windows 8 when it is finally released I would rather have it on a desktop but I would only do this if it was to be fully functional on the desktop but I really cannot see this happening.

And yes I do think Windows 8 is a must and has been developed at the right time even though Windows 7 is quite newish.

Well that's my take on it anyway ;-)

11. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Interesting, your post in my opinion reiterates an earlier post. The fact that MS is simply trying to keep up with Apple and Google / Android. Instead of considering the needs of the users / customers they already have. The customer's that put them where they are today !

As Yen posted, MS maintaining their monopoly .

12. mdtauk

mdtauk MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Windows 95 kicked the crap out of Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11 - I took great pleasure in upgrading my Windows 3.11 to Win95 back when it was released!

13. mdtauk

mdtauk MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Look what happened when Microsoft took a long break between OS releases before... 8 years of Windows XP and IE6.

If you don't want to upgrade don't! But that should not stop Microsoft from innovating, and allowing me to have Metro on my PC. So you wait till Windows 9 or 10 if you want, that's your choice. And thank god you do have a choice, unlike Apple where app compatibility is ditched whenever Apple feel like lol

14. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Despite Win95 being very crappy OS at first, Win3.1 >> Win95 was a huge step forward. On the other hand, Win7 >> Win8 is not. If it is an improvement worth paying for, we will have to wait and see. It's too early to reach a safe conclusion. And yes, everybody here is entitled to their own (respected) opinion on whether they should upgrade or not. Some people seem quite happy to have installed WDP as their primary OS. Personally, I feel like sticking with 7 SP1 for at least 2 more years, or when I judge that 8 has more features that would make my life easier. Which I doubt at the moment. But again, I may be wrong; time will tell ;)

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  16. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    @ x86, I agree . Waiting two years or as long as one feels necessary is a good idea. I posted months ago that MS was aiming at tablets so that puts me out of the equation. I'm a desktop fan, aays have been. So all 8 is to me is an extra bit of GUI........ Is that worth my dollar ? At this point, the answer is no.

17. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Another concern I have with 8, is it being rushed out ? By this I mean MS has a habit of dishing out an OS that in reallity isn't complete. Take 7, released October 2011 and then two years consisting of an astonishing amount of updates. Cluttering my SSD, only to then thrust SP1 upon me.

Why not wait , research properly. Create something more complete. Instead what they do is go RTM and then wait for the error reports and support queries and then they fix it. I understand the need for a certain amount of updates but for the money they ask , I expect something more complete.

If you're moving to 8 then good for you, its your choice but is another incomplete OS with limited features on your desktop worth it ? I'm not convinced and from what I've read the feature list isn't that impressive . Running 7 on an SSD and an i7 ,as I am is blistering fast. Looks good and is responsive . MS are going to have to do a lot more to persuade me I'm afraid.