Windows 8 why?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pyrros aatu, Oct 4, 2011.

1. TechDudeGeorge

TechDudeGeorge MDL Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I disagree Yen. I mean I still can't grasp photoshop. Yet I grasped the UI and interface of Windows 8 in what, 5 minutes?. Microsoft add features, I mean without new feature/technology we'd be nowhere in 10 years. New hardware needs new software to run on it. Tastes and styles change.

People just hate change. I mean if Apple radically changed OS X from the silver bars and traffic lights it is now, and made it big circles everywhere. Would anyone complain?

2. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #42 x86, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    7 is fast, reliable and a definite improvement over Vista (which I ve been using for 3 years). Moving to a new OS is somewhat inevitable, mostly because of the limited application & driver support for older OSes. Otherwise I would have been quite happy to stick with XP SP3 ... no just kiddin' - but trying to make a point here. I don't consider myself an OS tester and I don't have the luxury of having an incomplete / unreliable OS that impedes my daily tasks. Even 7 when it first came out, it wasn't as good as it is now. Nothing strange with that. That is why RTM/SP0 stage doesn't tend to impress me lately, as it's usually rushed out to meet a release deadline. As a rule of thumb, I won't make the transition to a new OS, unless it reaches at least SP1. An example of how unfinished / rush job that is, take the recent SP1 for 7 released in early summer. By the time I got it, there where already 200+ updates (SP2) of either critical / important fixes for it. That says a lot...

That is so true. Eventually though, everybody will have to make that step forward

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    There is something called ''comfort zone''; the peoples won't to handle the change....I used many Operating Systems and I know now it is hard to change something well know for unknow,and yes ,Windows 7 is the best O.S that I had....I use now WDP because is better.

4. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    The real problem is, it's not just the end users (private or business) of MS Windows. It's all the software companies that are riding MS' bandwagon and releasing the majority of popular software - particularly games - only for Windows. To the average consumer, PC means Windows and Windows means PC, and the big software makers know this. Isn't it obvious they'll make the most software for the most-used OS, since it means their software will be more widespread too? It's Windows and the software running on it feeding each other.
    Mac OSX and Linux can be the greatest OSes ever...but as long as so much desirable software is easily available only on Windows, Windows will remain king of OSes on the PC platform.

5. mikedl

mikedl MDL Member

Aug 24, 2011
    In a way, I guess.

RIP, Mr. Jobs. :(

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    LOOL, I was thinking of 1 year free technet. :eek:

8. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Can I sneak in my uninvited feedback with this tool or will it validate my id? :D

9. kwang

kwang MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2010

for us with an eye for new software, i think 8 is gonna be a jam. but wait there is more....windows 8 is not yet even beta.. so why criticize and resist now when we are being given the opportunity to evaluate and betten. resistance to change - will not win the day

10. pyrros aatu

pyrros aatu MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2011
    If you begin to develop a game and make a beta version and then suddenly realize that it was a terrible idea,you will not stop developing it right?Because if you do then it would be a loss for the company so once a program or game reaches the beta there is no turning back.So if M$ does not stop developing windows 8 it will be a total fail and end up like another vista.And nobody wants that to happen now do they?

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You need to think about who is responsible if w8 will become a success or not. Basically it isn't M$. It are primarily the OEMs and the customers. Vista had problems to become gold. The OEMs didn't support it, especially the 64 bit version. Also Vista got a major update at its kernel.
    What IMO M$ is doing wrong is to implement metro into x32 and x64 versions. They should do it at ARM version only. Touch feature at desktop PCs never will be used......and metro without touch feature is useless...

12. rezhakzer

rezhakzer MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2011
    i think windows 8 could be a good idea,
    If implemented the right way,
    ya know actually listening to the customers,
    and not just letting it fall on deaf ears, and to hell with what feed back everybodys gave them,
    personally i'd like to see a better interface for changing your visual styles/colors,
    I.E. The blinding white of explorer:D

13. Offsprung

Offsprung MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2011
    #57 Offsprung, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    I also wonder about win8. Not sure I see the comparison to win98 though.
    Someone above hit on my main thought....
    Not new, WINDOWS MOBILE. Isn't it just a M$ Phone?
    Guess it is time to look into Android x86?
    What was it with office07 they started ruining the cool 3d icons and now its tiles (a 5yo going crazy with construction paper?)?
    Main reason I went Droid over m$ or crapple.
    And instead of lame little apps in a sidebar the sidebar is the GUI?
    And boy do I love java! :D
    Didn't they ruin that forum too when they broke all the google links and then made the user info look like a MS Phone?

14. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Metro/Immersive with a keyboard and mouse - Not for Everyone, but Not Useless

Have you even tried to use Metro with a keyboard and mouse? Or did you simply pigeonhole it as touch-only due to the similar appearance to Windows Phone? Those of us that are using Metro/Immersive every day are not all on touch-screen devices; some of us - like me - have traditional desktops with keyboards and mice. Yet we get things done. Is it for everyone? No, it's not. But because it's actually usable for some - with a keyboard and mouse - it should not be dismissed. Just make it an option.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #59 Yen, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
    Lol, I had too. How else should I have tested it? My PC hasn't a 24 inch touch screen, and I never would install that ugly thing on a phone if I could.

To me windows is and ever will be an OS for traditional desktops with keyboards and mice, of course most of my work I am doing at desktop PCs which never will use 24 inch touch displays.

Let me quote myself what I actually mean with useless....

So IMHO metro is useless, w7 doesn't need it. It can do anything already a lot faster.
    The only option we need is an alternative OS to m$, but no metro.

When M$ is trying to copy Android and IOS with the apps store and stuff then they should do it right!
    W8 needs 3D animations to arrange items, functions and windows, it needs customisation possibilities for the user and the choice and freedom to organize the desktop and the OS, it needs themes, styles...CUSTOMIZATION is the keyword.
    We are mature, we want to customize and not to use the M$ boring static stuff!!!
    Also the classic w7 interface should be selectable for those who don't want to change their workflow.

OMG I hope M$ doesn't read that and w8 will become a success..lol..

My 2 cents..:)

16. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #60 alextheg, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
    Precisely. Android wins hands down because of customization. As an OS it can be made your own with ease unlike MS, I can see MS is trying, just not hard enough .