Windows 8 why?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pyrros aatu, Oct 4, 2011.

1. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Wow, this thread is an EPIC FAIL. Windows 8 is like Windows 98??? LOLLLLL! ROFLMAO!! Windows XP annd LInSux are like Windows 98 --- pathetic, fugly, insecure and completely unusable.

Windows 8, just like Vista and 7, is a beatiful, secure and gorgeous OS.

The Metro UI is the single greatest UI improvement in the last 20 years. Metro UI is elegant, beautiful, productive and a joy to use.

Metro works PERFECTLY fine on a non-touch desktop PC. I have been using the Metro UI on Windows 8 DP on my desktops and laptops, and found it FAR better than the classic desktop UI.

And the full potential of the Metro UI will be unleashed when the App Store is opened. Then we will get hold of Metro Apps which will make our everyday computing a complete joy.

Windows 8 will be a ROARING success. Even bigger than Windows 7. Microsoft FTW. Windows 8 FTW. Metro UI FTW.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Nice post. The M$ developers are agreeing for sure. Only one thing I strongly have to disagree, Linux and insecure? An example would update my mind!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Well, that insecure remark was directed at XP and 98. :p

4. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Extremely few humans with brains..........

YEN, I cannot agree with what you say 100%. I can only agree 280% !!!!!!!!!

You are the rare great brain human to exaclty pin point Apple !!!! People is so but so blind on this later one.
    I have been told being a lunatic for opening my mouth but I see you have brains too !!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. mikedl

mikedl MDL Member

Aug 24, 2011
    It used to be the train of thought that the entire idea of using a mouse to navigate a computer was idiotic.

I guess y'all like being stuck in the dark ages.

I take it the above poster, and the poster of the post he quoted, navigate entirely with a keyboard, right?

6. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    nope,just because it's new,doesn't mean it's innovative,and who is Y'all? dark ages? not everyone can adapt overnight,it takes time to adjust

7. mikedl

mikedl MDL Member

Aug 24, 2011
    "Y'all" was directed at the poster and the quoted poster.

Indeed, not everyone does adapt overnight but I do remember the words of those kicking and screaming about the introduction of the mouse as a navigation tool.

Yeah, I've been around a while.

I'm hearing the same old rhetoric, I heard then, regarding the Metro UI and the plans MS is putting forth in the UI realm.

8. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Let MS come up with big improvements by way of core OS and features- and people will adapt to metro. But if 8 is going to be 7 + metro, they arent getting my money or my loader lol.

9. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Windows 8 won't be Windows 7 + Metro. I do understand what you mean by that, in terms of 'effectively'! However that said, Windows 8 is close to being Windows 7 + Metro. Remember Windows 7 is basically Vista optimised, so it does show that something similar can actually end up being quite different. People buying new computers should definitely go for Windows 8 over Windows 7 when it comes out, people already using Windows 7 probably won't see the need to update. Power users or enthusiasts would see benefit updating to it even with existing hardware since Windows 8 will be more efficient and the extra speed would be favourable. Windows 8 32-bit shouldn't really exist, I hope Microsoft make it available only for the base versions and versions that run on tablet or tablet-like machines. Using new hardware and 32-bit, especially by the time Windows 8 comes out, is pretty stupid and just holds back development of 64-bit apps.

10. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #70 alextheg, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
    Windows 8, Why ? Windows 8, Why not ?

This is an interesting discussion, yet i feel that points are being made and then missed by some. The things that some of you are referring to as progress are merely extra bits of GUI. Okay there is Hybrid boot, there is UEFI. Who needs UEFI really ? Hybrid Boot, well Windows 7 is already booting very quickly using SSD. As for UEFI, what is it going to do for the average user ? Aside from allowing 2-3 TB + Storage , not a great deal ! I have an UEFI board and can tell you that the "in windows", UEFI interface is not at all impressive. In fact its crap and crashes. All UEFI is truly going to benefit at this stage is MS. its going to make their OS far more secure but then that wont bother many people here because you are all going to go and buy your very expensive license ;)....... Are'nt you ?

Nobody here is stuck in the dark ages, far from it ? Do you really think the forum founders / members here that brought you SLIC modding could really be in the dark ages. How can innovator's of such things be in the dartk ages ?

You are missing the point....big time. The point is this:

Microsft feel the need to release another operating system to keep up with the competition. Android and Apple are biting the heels of MS. Android is proving very innovative. The one common complaint people used to make about linux is that it was not user friendly, difficult to use. Yet through Android that is changing and in my opinion it is only a matter of time until Android comes to the desktop.

Android is innovative, its making something completely Open Source freely availiable. Its growing in popularity all the time. The interface is friendly , new and at the same time powerfull and also compatible with a great many things. Its customizable, easily and freely. Its bringing Linux to the masses without even raising an eyebrow or costing anyone a fortune.

MS are not giving user's this level of choice , customization or freedom. For many years they have relied on the fact that 90 % of PC's were sold with their OS pre-installed. Things are changing. People are waking up and want choice. Okay if you are buying a new OEM machine i can see why you would have Windows 8 on it. It would make sense because for most users you need something to work out of the box. For the enthusiasts and power users though, we want a little bit more.

I would change to Windows 8 tomorrow if somebody could point out he actual progress of the OS. All i can see is a few little system tweaks and they have tried to make the desktop look pretty. The OS is clearly being aimed at tablets, how many of you here are running or plan to run tablets ? So the question is why move to Windows 8 ?

If you are a power user you most likely have a desktop machine or a high end laptop. Can you see yourself encoding high quality audio / video on a tablet....... gaming ? Programming / coding ? So again - Why move to windows 8? Because MS wants you to, they want you to "keep up with the Jones's". They want you to spend your hard earned dollar's on a tablet with their OS installed on it because you think you need another OS ?

For the record, IF i were to nuy a tablet, it would most definately be running Android.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. crosby50

crosby50 MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2011
    Excellent well thought out post. I'm thankful for forums like this one . I can get all the help I need, M$ is naturally about making money its great at convincing people to part with their money for a product that's basically unchanged since Win XP :orb:

12. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    What does security have to do with the OS license?

The fact is that there are rootkits that install themselves in the MBR, and if that's the case there's no way to detect that modification at boot time, and they will become active and can control the system before the OS or AV has any way of even trying to detect that something's wrong. Implemented correctly, UEFI secure boot can prevent this. Even if it's a simple on/off setting in UEFI setup that the user can change, most won't ever change the default and rootkits won't be able to attack the boot environment.
    And we certainly haven't seen the last of this botnet crap.

13. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Everytjing if you own a multi national computer software giant. MS want you to pay for their OS, not to use a loader / activator. So securing the boot environment ensures we will have to buy a license.

14. newmax07

newmax07 MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2011
    i wounder if the final release of win 8 is available or not ?? thanks

15. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    hmmmm........... no.

16. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    #76 mohamedkamel, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  17. LEXX911

LEXX911 MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    But guessed what you and a few others are a minorities. I understand your point but MS need to take control of their products for the other masses that aren't computer literate. I want to move to Windows 8 because I'm getting the best of both world.

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    OK, lol, I accept that.;)

Why talking in riddles, just say the poster = BIOSNOIDEA and the quoted poster = me.
    Even though my quoted post doesn't say anything about metro and touch screen (this particular post) I guess you mean it.
    Would you really replace your desktop PC screen with a 24 inches touch screen?

Have a look at where you work with your PC. There is a comfortable chair, your work desk with the monitor on it.
    You would need to come close to the screen to touch it with your fingers and 24 inches screen has a quite huge area to operate. Is that comfortable, what about your eyes? Then when reading pages you would need to move back to read them relaxed on your chair......., or when scrolling pages, or when playing games. Would you use the touch feature? Move close to the screen or put out your hand, then grab the mouse again? Action games are played best with mouse and keyboard.

Or starting applications, copying and exploring files, using Word, Excel, browsing the net...by touching a 24 inches screen?
    A 24 inch desktop monitor is no smart phone. It is a static device.
    You cannot replace the mouse and the keyboard. The touch feature would be an additional feature. Together with mouse and keyboard it is simply not needed and hence useless. I myself want to sit relaxed on my chair using the mouse and the keyboard. And I guess the majority of the user have a similar opinion.

The touch feature is one of the best inventions that were made. The huge difference is that at smart phones and tablets there you have a small device, you are close to it when using it AND there is no keyboard and no mouse.

Reason why:

A rootkit never is installed at the MBR. The MBR has a size of 512 bytes only. No malware would have space there. A rootkit is stored somewhere on the HDD /SSD but hidden from Windows API.
    It is also nothing about UEFI. It's about a singed boot environment.

This was posted from an EFI expert who has modified a EFI to introduce the SLIC:
    They are providing new possibilities for hacker when switching to EFI, the possibility of BIOS malware. A 'old' BIOS is far more secure. So they are forced to make it secure.

We only want the option. Nobody really needs to customize if he doesn't want. And the success of Android says it is no minority. It are not even PC user, it are 'common' phone user who like it. So why shouldn't they go for another OS?
    Sure it cannot happen over night..it'll take time.

M$ would be happy about every user who still pirates their OS if there should be a second one, which is even better.
    And guess what will happen with the cost of windows? Wouldn't we all take benefit of it?

19. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #79 Brainsuck, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
    Win 95-950 and 95a was s**t 95b and c good Win 8 just give ms bob new life update version of it

20. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I've always wondered why hardware vendors don't just make the BIOS chip read-only by means of a hardware switch...maybe a DIP switch located on the back of the PC...one that you would have to flick to read/write to flash the BIOS and then set back to read-only. BAM, instant protection against BIOS rootkits.

Why don't they think of something simple like this?????