Windows 8 why?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pyrros aatu, Oct 4, 2011.

1. stonyi1

stonyi1 MDL Junior Member

Sep 2, 2009
    You answered your own question, because its to simple. From my experience most "egg-heads", lack the common sense to think on such simple terms.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks for the info. OK, what I have actually meant is that the malicious code isn't completely storable at the MBR. The chain can start at an infected MBR, that's right.
    To verify a signature (boot loader) could be done at a BIOS as well, but nobody seems to be interested to realize that.

One thing is for sure: This all means another step forward to restriction and control! Second OS bootloader, UEFI modding! Both won't be possible. I hate that, one monopolist says what's to do and sells the idea to be a security-reason idea. LOL.

In fact they want to protect their monopoly. Don't be stupid!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NCS

NCS MDL Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Well windows 8 does have several good features that I really like.
    • UI Ribbon
    • It's faster
    • File management system
    • Disk management
    • New search feature
    • Enabling 2 apps at the same time
    These to me are very important new features. If U don't like the Metro U can disable it..thats easy to do.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    IMHO that's far not enough to release them as a new OS. What is left when I disable metro? I also will not buy any app from M$, so I don't need apps.....I also think about companies where PCs are used to do common work to be productive such as to write commercial letters, to calculate results, to analyse data.......do you think they will take benefit from the 'features' which you have posted?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Yeah, and the countries are going broke. Problems are abound and more to follow. Tablet "computing" (spelled: hand held entertainment system[brainwasher]) is going to save them. Media can do wonders. We have all seen that. Commercially IMO it is all a bit fragile and maybe a little late in the game....
    Seems to me that anytime I gain; someone loses. I had to pay to learn something I already knew? What the hell is up with that?:mad:
    I'll say it again; great forum. Those who are ignorant should keep watching the news.

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Yes they will, they can run their pr0n app in the background while they type letters or better yet run Facecrap and other Social Notworking junk and waste company time and look productive till payday.
    The purpose of 8 is to add more flashy garbage and appear cool so they can pull the wool over your eyes and rake in your hard earned cash and increase their profits. Do I blame Microsoft, hell no I wish I could be in their position. :cheers:
    What I do is pity the poor souls who actually pay for Microsoft products, long live MDL and may we live long enough to have free Windows 8 with all the flashy garbage courtesy of an MDL app.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The company where I work would disable metro and apps for sure if they don't get an OS version without. They want me to work, not to build my personal app pool and to play with them...
    Companies are more conservative in upgrading the OS. They need above all a reliable and safe OS and network. They neither would allow to create a personal account to have apps nor to use them online. My working PC is restricted. I can't download from known fileshare servers, can't use messengers, social networks. Most popular (gaming) websites are blocked also.

I guess it's at all good and productive companies the same and it is reasonable. I cannot get why M$ is integrating that app store crap and metro into a OS which is used by productive companies.

The first step is to pirate M$ stuff, the far better step is not to use it at all.

8. mikedl

mikedl MDL Member

Aug 24, 2011
    One has only to imagine the possibilities of in-house apps.

Then, that in-house app looks the same on their tablet, smart phone or whatever device one might use after leaving work but still desiring to be connected.

A Win-Win situation, in my estimation ... eventually. :)

9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    In most cases the option to not use their products is not an option.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    What especially do you mean with in-house apps? Apps that can perform a special task? Connection to the company is possible already via secure VPN.

One thing you should consider at your estimation.
    Every serious admin of a network in a company has to restrict the clients for security reasons. I am happy that I have got restricted internet access at all!

Every client there has a special restricted user profile. I cannot install any program! (Except I'd do some extra work :D)
    From the aspect of a companies' security admins must restrict the clients to protect their capital, their data.

I cannot install any app and that's OK.
    Why should a client PC at a company have the right to install programms / apps? It only would be a security risk which can be fully avoided. My employer provides all the licenses I need to work. Every new PC is connected to the intranet and installed via install server.

From the point of view of a company (view of the boss) apps are useless, even might be harmful. Apps will lower the performance of every single user. The user would play with apps instead of doing his work he gets payed for! :smartass:

We already have 'in-house apps'. It are programs that can perform special scientific tasks.

Hmm...at home it's the OS only (if you want to play games). Nobody at home really needs other M$ products than the OS.

At work you are right, unfortunately...

11. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    +1 Yen, I was an Admin at a company that I used to work, all games were uninstalled from Windows, some users didn't even have online connections, those who had online connections were restricted to certain websites(only related to company business), users were not allowed to install any programs or do any modifications to the system, disk/DVD drives were disabled.

12. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Some companies have good IT policy but most don't. A lot of them don't want to spend too much on IT and others are clueless.

13. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    Yes it all depended on the boss.

14. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    users were not allowed to install any programs or do any modifications to the system! And be ready to get fired.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Right. Every employee has to sign a special paper where are the conditions of how to handle PC security. One point is that you even aren't allowed to plug in a personal USB thumb drive.

One time I did it anyway and I had bad luck. The McAfee guard prompted a suspicious file and notified the IT security dept. I got a call from the sys admin and a few minutes later somebody came to isolate my client PC from the internal network.
    The fact that is had been a false positive didn't matter. Fortunately I know this person and could talk to him to explain what had happened. My client PC was formatted and completely reinstalled by the IT security dept. They cannot afford to try to clean it only, it would be too insecure. I had got a warning from the IT security dept.
    The company still uses windows XP and wants to migrate to w7 next year. The network has about 1500 clients. It is a matter of costs. All clients need to have the hardware specifications for w7. All licenses are legit, the company cannot afford to run pirated stuff.
    We are a honest customer to M$ and being a honest customer you have to guarantee that nobody of the employees would install pirated stuff. Almost everything is running via network.
    Purchase and sale of goods, revenue, quality control, approval of goods, time registration, advertisement, scientific data, e-mail, pdf scans, fax server...The network has to be secure. Imagine what one hour of downtime would cost the company?
    In fact we are dependent on it in a way we never had expected. And now comes WDP and should convince the company to migrate to it? NEVER! With an app store and metro the employees would try for it...form the view of the company it's more than unwanted......

16. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Well i expect the Store to be disabled via Group Policy also overall the Metro thing will be able to be disabled, i mean let's just face it as nice as Metro can be for Customers, it has ZERO use on a corporate level, Microsoft knows that.
    Depending on what you are doing on the PC you might even be locked into a Kiosk Application you can't get out off as ALL your work can and has to be done inside of this Application.
    Alone the facts that W8 has no real improvements (It does have some quite "important" though, TPM and BitLocker, now a admin can Boot a machine from the Network, this is NOT possible on Windows 7, you have to boot such machines yourself) for a Companies over W7, W8 will be completely ignored by almost all of em, no doubt :)

As a Consumer i'm looking forward to W8 but i fear that W8 might not really do it, while it will NOT be a Vista, there will be a lot they can improve for Windows 9 or their next big Windows 10 step
    But overall Windows 7 might be another "XP" for companies :)

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I guess to remote boot a client is not a necessarily needed feature, to the contrary it could be abused.
    Companies cannot afford to migrate to every new OS M$ releases. They have to think twice, I agree with you w7 will become the successor of XP, it's indeed a decent OS.

On the other hand M$ needed to release Vista in order to create w7 as it is. Also they have the possibility to release a e.g. enterprise or professional version where the app stuff is lacking.