Windows 9 may be FREE if Microsoft hopes to compete in the market soon.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WeAreNotAlone, Jan 14, 2014.

1. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
    The point is there will be no need for loaders, etc for the consumer market going to a free model,
    You just download a copy of the OS, click install...

Instead of spending millions, upon millions of dollars on keeping people from sourcing the OS without paying... the focus would HAVE TO BE producing /procuring high quality apps.

Oh, side benefit of going "free" would be we all could focus our time on more productive things.

Think of all the time that has been wasted over the years this measly $40 which could be focused on other efforts.
    Think of all the hassles, the GRIEF caused... and how nice is would be if you could download the OS image just like you would do with a Linux distro now direct from MS.

2. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    All you people saying "free", pray explain how M$ will make money if they make Windows free. Their only alternative then would be to stuff it up with ads or sell user data to advertisers, and we don't want either situation, do we now?

Grow up and open your eyes. Windows can never be marketed free (whether for standalone or enterprise deployment). It is just too big a cash cow, and making it free will dent M$' pockets badly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Lol, I guess almost no 'private' consumer would need 10 licenses. No honestly people should be more aware what companies are doing to make one to 'consume'.
    M$ would do best when they give their OS away for 'free'. No activation related development costs / no activation server needed. Mainboards could have a generic 'license string' in the DSDT table 'certified to run windows' and that is all.
    (Such as Nvidia SLI). If they (OEMs) have to pay M$ for that (and how much) or not depends on the demand for windows.

My reply was no generic reply! If you want a generic opinion about the US then I say the US are always a step ahead concerning doom of capitalism.
    Actually governments / countries 'provide' nothing, the government administrates (taxes) and represents peoples..that is the way it should be....but they are also a victim of greed and control-enforcement hence they work hand in hand with the industry, to get the tech-items to realize it and money through the lobbyists...
    It is not about that somebody who has manufactured a thing hasn't the right to get something in return (money).
    Of course the one needs to be paid.
    The problem is that the relations went out of control. The bad intention to accumulate more and more capital and 'force'.

I referred to US monopolists because all from that branch come from the US. That is a fact and is not 'against' US.
    Besides of that the NSA thingy.....
    My personal opinion about M$ was never a good one. Also from a pure technical view as experienced 'user'.
    Finally they have now some competitors...and their products are starting to show their real value.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Shows you they are worried about losing control of the os market in the light of new devices.

I am glad other os have come out, and even though i do not want to use mobiles, android is good for all this. Ms has had a monopoly for too long with desktops and laptops.

I for one will not be sure if i will buy win9, but i am sure i am not going to buy win8. You can never be sure what will come in terms of what is needed in pcs, so one cannot be sure they do not need to upgrade one day.

So like i said with win 8, i would not take it even if it was free. What strategy ms does with win9, who knows, at least they have to accept they have to do what consumers want now a little more.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    To me it doesn't matter if w9 will be free or not.
    What matters most is how it will be concerning:

Privacy
    Corporate work
    Work flow (intuition)
    Desktop customisation / arrangement
    performance and styling
    App integration

W7 will be my last OS from Microsoft if they continue their way.
    Ubuntu on desktop and Android on mobile. M$ OS only if unavoidable. Virtual box to perform demanded windows only stuff

6. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Nothing comes free.We have to pay a lot again and again,So a few people get more and more money. I have noticed that

we don't have any thing new to say about and 8.1. The 8 section is becoming very slow and maybe dull. :eek:

7. ah-le-le

ah-le-le MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    There has always been rumors of Microsoft wanting to do Windows divided into 2 versions. One with Metro & Desktop. The other one with only Metro. The one with only Metro could possibly be free at some point. The version with desktop would be called the professional/business version and would of course not be free.

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    You mean something like Windows RT and Windows 8.1 Pro ?

Already done

9. ah-le-le

ah-le-le MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    Except that RT has a desktop and is not free. Plus, one is ARM while the other is X86.

10. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Well that's what we (or most of us at least) here, have been touting for what seems like yonks! ... will they ever learn?... maybe once the do-do really hits the fan... who knows? :eek:

Apparently they "listen to their costomers" ... wonder how many asked for a Mini-Start menu? :rolleyes:

11. moderator

moderator MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    @yen,

ubuntu does ask for a voluntary contribution before you are taken to the download page :tea:

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes. Finally we live in a capitalistic society where food costs money. To voluntarily donate for the spirit behind the idea......is worth to think about..IMHO.
    There is also written "Ubuntu is completely free to download, use and share."

13. moderator

Oct 16, 2013
    crackberry / mycrowsoft / scroogle / yapple

so capitalism & monopolists are not limited to america alone since mark shuttleworth is south african &

canonical is a british company :)

not that i am a great fan of the United States of Arabs :D

14. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    #35 Garbellano, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2014
    Linux is free. We dont need you sh*t anymore m$. Go and .... yourself.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Sure it is not limited to the US (companies), but it seems they celebrate it most, also reflected in their politics.
    Another perfect dangerous example is found at another branch: seed: Mosanto, DuPont.

But capitalism and monopoly are two very different animals. A monopolist creates a dependence on what he offers since there is no competition. Capitalism is the ideology to accumulate things which have a materialistic value. The identification with those things gives a pseudo feeling of force, far more when having a monopoly. Direction is growth for both, it is easier for a monopolist since the consumers have no freedom of choice.
    But nothing can grow all the time! It becomes monstrous and harmful.

A real social aspect comes from those who give something without to want something in return. That what they actually return is the wellbeing of others and NOT just another 'thing' they could get for it.

So one can think about what is more important in life. One can 'mimic' the ways of a capitalist and also get the good feeling from things he can get, OR one can also give something (else) without to want something in return and is happy because he has made others happy. The 'spirit' of Ubuntu belongs to the latter. Open source belongs to the latter. To voluntarily donate for such a project belongs to the latter.

It is quite simple. When one keeps something or owns something, it is missing elsewhere. If one keeps much, much is missing elsewhere.

16. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    It does matter.. they are competing with established players in a market they are less than competent to be in... as we saw with the RT debacle...

They still control the PC market on historical grounds - which holds a huge lag for the likes of Ubuntu to make up (see my sig)... either way - as in all business, goodwill(financial) wanes in time....:p

17. Pendaws

Pendaws MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2011
    Make it pretty and use lots of wizards to set the OS up and people WILL bash the door down to buy it.
    I guess my gripe is that the AMOUNT of money being charged doesn't match up to the value of the product.

Microsoft DOES make people buy their OS because of it's marketing campaign, like Intel and other companies
    world wide who want you ADDICTED to their product, MS has done that. We ALL seem to be using Windows
    here on the forum. MS made this the platform everyone wants.... Ya can't make lots of $$$$ unless you addict
    the populous.

18. moderator

Oct 16, 2013
    if by they you mean mycrowsoft, yes they do control the computer market globally :tea:

it will be at least another 10 years before ubuntu can come on par with the windows' market share

19. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Well as long as most people pay their exorbitant prices to fund their R & D.. and so few pay the "voluntary contribution" to help the Linux community the status quo is unlikely to change... :yeah: