Windows 9 may be FREE if Microsoft hopes to compete in the market soon.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WeAreNotAlone, Jan 14, 2014.

1. moderator

moderator MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    @whazzupsuperfly,

you use only linux / ubuntu & no windows at all :eek:

2. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    free?//? really
    [​IMG]

3. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Obviously not (how can I crit them if I don't?), in fact I'm a M$ certified Solutions Developer - but that's besides the point...lets not get into a Windoes vs Linux debate...:innocent:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. moderator

Oct 16, 2013
    i can't live with or without you

so you do use windows :) i rest my case :biggrin:

debate :eek: no way :cool: linux might be the wave of the future but windows is now, windows is today &

has been since the same since over a decade & will remain for another decade :tea:

what is there to debate :confused:

you can not put the grand daddy of computers against the new kind on the block :D

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    What is market share? If you mean by dollars and Ubuntu only then yes, Ubuntu is free and Windows is overpriced. :D

If you mean by installations / amount of devices (not desktop PCs only) and all Linux distros, then you are highly probable wrong!
    Linux distros are running on more devices than windows. ;)
    They are running on routers, (media, web) servers, TVs (Samsung), PVRs, Android.... and some more (firmware of network devices, for instance).

I personally run one windows and 4 'Linux-distros' devices @ home.
    Still a Windows PC
    Android mobile
    cable modem (DOCSIS) / router / VPN server / firewall / land line access gate
    Samsung TV
    Enigma 2 media server / PVR

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    M $ does not think about freedom.

She thinks about money. Think about profits.

I agree with what some users:

Want to be free? Use Linux.
    You pay nothing. It is developed by a large community.

Is currently dominating the mobile phone market and TV's.

Have free code.

7. moderator

Oct 16, 2013
    @yen,

routers...t.v.s...servers & droids are not computers...you of all people should know that!!!

droids & tablets can never replace a computer i.m.h.o....at least not in the near future!!!

ubuntu have started asking for contributions & a lot of ubuntu apps are priced!!!

it is not " all for free " so to speak!!!

what is the guarantee that 10 years down the line ubuntu will stay free???

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #48 Yen, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

"If you mean by installations / amount of devices (not desktop PCs only)"
    Nothing indicates that I don't know it....:biggrin:..I mentioned desktop PCs.

Sorry being nitpicking here, all those devices ARE actually computers since they have a CPU / RAM / OS. They aren't desktop personal computers, though.
    But that is just a side note. I've simply said devices...:)

I wanted to make aware that many devices are running Linux distros, many more than most think.
    And it's not about replacement of a desktop PC and about everything should be free. (Keyword capitalistic society).
    It's about social aspects (share / open source) and the doom of M$ windows Monopoly and finally a real competition. (Replacement of windows, not replacement of PCs).

It depends very on what an user needs to do.....and with which application one has to work.
    I myself need windows @ work, because all my special scientific applications are available on windows only.

In the old days they had also a UNIX version on alpha CPUs, because Intel CPUs and windows sucked big time (insufficient performance to calculate Fourier transformation for instance).

For 'basic' needs a tablet can replace a PC already....it are the applications which (still) force one to use windows...

Have a look at how much an app on android is, what it can perform and how many megabytes it has...and compare it to x86/x64 architecture / windows!
    We already have better systems and OSes, it is dependence of applications that ties us to windows.
    I am sick of windows and M$ whose monopoly has beaten that many competitors (who were better in technical aspects) only because of their monopoly position.

9. moderator

Oct 16, 2013
    a failed cover up

i have clearly mentioned in my post " computer market " & " windows market share " so you can not

mask your error & get away with it by saying :

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I don't know what you mean, to me there is no error. :confused:
    You are referring to desktop personal computers by saying computer and I have posted that there is a difference. Of course has Ubuntu less market share than windows.
    BUT windows runs on less devices= computers (original definition) than Linux distros.

11. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Well, I'll be damned if I'm going to pirate it if it's free.

12. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    The day I stop having to circumvent the Windows licensing through clever means is the day windows will be free.

Personally I don't like ubuntu as it tried to copy the Windows super bar not very effectively. That being said I am not opposed to Linux because of how badly MS screwed over desktop users in general ;)

O sick 929 posts heh I remember when it was always 666

13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #53 timesurfer, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    If OS = free then what about all the lost revenue from imprisoning software pirates :eek:...lol

Less people in prison = less money in U.S. pocket :biggrin:

Hence this will cost MS/US/NSA in long run :cool:

Not true, the wicked will always give you a free rope to hang yourself with if they don't hang you first ;)...lol

Actually "well being of others" is a thing

Most awesome of things "well being of others" is hmm yes he he he :yoda:

This is your brain on free :shisha:...lol

[​IMG]

This is your brain on not free :p...lol

Damned and not as cool with nothing to rebel against...lol

I mean if there's no dysfunction in gov't, religions, politics or science then that will turn all the attention to the individual

But the individual won't like that given the individual likes to blame the group or government or science and religion

Best to just keep the individual wicked games hidden by blaming gov't, religions, politics and science and just look the other way...lol

Awe crap the group is an individual...lol

Things just got complicated :suicide:

Or did they just get simple?

14. Jvelo7892

Jvelo7892 MDL Junior Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Do I hear another touch-based OS??

15. mabaega

mabaega MDL Senior Member

Dec 30, 2010
    is this true?

newIe.png

Version 11.0.9774.0 >> (c) 2012
    Version 11.0.9600.1 >> (c) 2013

:confused:

16. Ith

Ith MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Sign of fake;)

17. chen_456

chen_456 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2013
    It's the most important to make all the store apps free.

18. mabaega

mabaega MDL Senior Member

Dec 30, 2010
    yes .. all will be free, but for trial use..
    :D

19. SectorGZ

SectorGZ MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2014
    I’m not sure what to think about Windows 9. To me it’s not a question of “Free” vs “Pirated” but the question of acceptance and functionality. We all remember the Win98 to Win98SE, and as mentioned before the Vista to Windows 7, to separate the less than accepted functional OS for an improved system.

I, personally, think of an OS with the focus on whether I can accomplish what I want, or need, to do as simply and as fast as possible. Yes, I am somewhat old school, and like many others, and not accepted to change. I think Windows’ 8 was a mistake for business use and if Windows 9 follows that format it will also be a mistake. Many companies are planning to stay with Windows 7 until forced to drop it like they are doing to XP. It’s too early to tell but I hope MS gets it right .. and that might be a stretch of hope .. :eek:

I am all about free, but it has to work for almost everyone to be successful. Well, that’s my opinion anyway.:eek: