Windows Defender - The worst AV ever?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Windows_Addict, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    this A\V software are not reliable, you must use Proactive defense.
    call it HIPS protection, Comodo have it,
    there is another good software that have this protection.
    it need some time to understand what you can allow And what you can't.
    About myself. i don't use A\V at all. i disabled it. just a waste of time.
    its a software for people who don't know how to use their Computer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gabardal

gabardal MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2009
    Thanks for the reply, it's just that I use eset, I would think that one av is enough? I've been wanting to give defender a solo chance for a while though...

3. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Yes, in that case it's fine removing it. As for Defender - it would still be a heavy downgrade from Eset. Defender's heuristic engine is primitive by comparison, it's not hard to make known malware stealth again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. HIDS & HIPS Host based intrusion detection & prevention system is a detection & prevention part of firewall not AV.
    Same apply for Network Based IDS & IPS.
    AV works on signature scans thatswhy we receive definitions updates as AV companies always add new valid signatures to there database in form of definitions.

5. Space Dandy

Space Dandy MDL Junior Member

Jan 3, 2017
    What do you guys think of the newish bitdefender anti virus free?

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Don't you think this off topic? I do so why don't you create a new thread for it.

7. Space Dandy

Jan 3, 2017

Actually it is not off topic as we talked about bitdefender here in this very thread before as a replacement for windows defender and a few people said it was a decent alternative however bitdefender has changed their free version.

8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a change into worse i.e. more annoyances and premium product pushing.
    Unfortunately, there's not many viable alternatives left, paid or not.

9. Space Dandy

Jan 3, 2017

Just updated it on one machine today and find it rather annoying, I preferred the older interface however what I am finding annoying is that now its bugging me if I go on a banking website and on one of the anime websites I use immediately after installing the new free version I keep getting pop ups that my browser is not safe...it also forced me to uninstall spybot SD on initial install though I reinstalled that afterwards.

Not sure if its the updated bitdefender or something else, could be one of pop up blockers I have that need updating, I just find the timing suspect. I get the feeling the new bitdefender is going to start nagging us lots like avg did.

10. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    CU updates continue to fail after remove it [0x800f081f]
    what is the best way--- to safely remove it,
    and still getting updates ?

11. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    MSMG Toolkit, no?

12. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    didn't try this yet.
    on windows 10/11 I didn't have such problems
    LTSC WU cause me a headaches.

13. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    disable service / block with gpedit / remove visual with gpo ( other methode break windows update - methode indicated are used for CMIT windows 10 china )

14. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  15. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    I did eventually disable it
    But I want to remove it completely o_O

16. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    You might be lying to yourself and Defender still running (check for MsMpEng.exe process running).
    No script or s**tty tool like Defender Control can disable Defender without first manually turning off Tamper Protection.

Removing is doable but LCU's have a prime directive to reinstate it, so why fight it?

17. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011

that is the problem with MS
    they enjoy doing that
    force us to use 'their' products
    why wouldn't fight that ?

I did check
    while service is in disabled mode
    defender app is crippled.
    so even if it working in background,
    its can't do anything.

18. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  19. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
  20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Threads have been merged.