Windows Thin PC - Addon Packages

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by MSMG, Jul 15, 2011.

1. D0Hbert

D0Hbert MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
    Need some assistance. I'm trying to integrate (offline) some packages into a clean ThinPC ISO. After extracting all the files from the ISO, and creating the necessary folders, I followed the instructions in the first post:

"Dism.exe /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\ThinPC\sources\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\ThinMnt
    Dism /Image:C:\ThinMnt /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\FeaturePack
    Dism.exe /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\ThinMnt /commit"

However, I've read in one of the posts that the language pack needs to be re-integrated after the featurepack. I tried doing this command:

"Dism /Image:C:\ThinMnt /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\LangPack" after the "Dism /Image:C:\ThinMnt /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\FeaturePack" command. However, I'm getting an error message to effect that the image file is not valid anymore and needs to be remounted. How do I go about re-integrating the language pack? If the language pack is not integrated, I get an error message during the installation and thus won't complete. Thanks guys.

2. papacool

papacool MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011
    Hello :)
    bad luck I can not install the package net framework 3.5. thin pc automatically uninstall the package to reboot.
    would this be related to the update prior to the thin pc set up the pack?
    what can I do to force the installation?

many thanks

3. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Check the first post and follow the instruction, i think you are installing the .NET Framework 3.5 package on an existing thin pc installation, then follow the Online method of installation. you need these packages

winemb-iis-was.cab
    winemb-netfx30.cab
    winemb-netfx30client.cab
    winemb-netfx35 .cab
    winemb-netfx35client.cab

and then also u need the language pack you are using, just follow instructions in the first post.

4. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Well, if you are using the default English language pack, then u don't need to re-integrate them, coz it installs automatically the required files from the \LangPack\en-US\lp.cab of Windows Thin PC DVD.

But if you are using a different language pack, then the command you are using is right i think, anyway i will try and reply

5. D0Hbert

D0Hbert MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
    Thanks for your time in giving it a shot. I tried it without integrating the english language pack but got an error message to the effect that installation can't continue with the language selected. I only selected the english language during initial setup. So I'm assuming that if the english pack was integrated automatically, that error message shouldn't appear? Thanks

6. papacool

papacool MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2011

Hello!
    I tried to reinstall by following the instructions but it uninstall everything.
    oddly I could put messenger 2011 after installing messenger v8.0
    I don't know whether to net framework 3.5 for messenger v8.0
    if so this means therefore that it is installed.
    it seems working good.
    thanks
    sorry my english's so bad ! :eek:

7. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    #47 MSMG, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)

It's not working.. anyone tried it..?

8. Kjh

Kjh MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2008
    #49 Kjh, Sep 18, 2011
    Thanks for adding the info on packages. I'd like to propose another method of install where modification to installed packages can be made very quickly. This does not integrate the packages, but installs whatever packages are placed in the directory. The packages are installed during the last stage of OOBE at the "finalizing install" phase.

Post-Install method:
    1. Copy the contents of the Thin PC DVD to a new folder.
    2. Navigate to the new folder's sources folder.
    3. In sources folder, make a new folder called $oem$.
    4. In $oem$ folder, make a new folder called $$.
    4. In $$ folder make a new folder called setup.
    5. In setup folder make a new folder called scripts.
    6. Add all the *.cab files needed into the scripts folder.
    7. Open Notepad, and paste this:
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:%~dp0 /NoRestart
    SHUTDOWN /R /T 0
    RD /S /Q "%~dp0"
    EXIT

8. Save this as SetupComplete.cmd in the scripts folder.
    9. Make a bootable ISO of the new folder or copy the contents of the new folder into a USB bootable Flash Drive to install from.
    10. Finished.

9. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    #50 MSMG, Sep 27, 2011
    (OP)

Thanks, ya this method is also good.. but in the script, the language pack integration should be done at the last i.e only after the other packages have been integrated...

There's also another method to install the packages and it by using the autounattend.xml script..

10. girotel

girotel MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2007
    #51 girotel, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
    How to remove Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications ?

Hello,

I seached the EMB-TPCfeaturePacks.xls file which package to remove for the Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications and POSIX Compliance, but could not find it.

Could someone tell me how to remove the POSIX and NFS components in Windows Thin PC ?

Thank you.

11. arnyc23

arnyc23 MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    #52 arnyc23, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
    How to customize WES7 pre-or-post install, so that the same installed WES volume can boot on both real hardware and inside Windows Virtual PC without BSOD 07B (i.e. install to a VHD attached as IDE hard drive inside VM, boot inside VM and boot the VHD on real PC where the VM is installed)?

12. arnyc23

arnyc23 MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    How to activate Native Boot from VHD support in ThinPC7 ? Its supported in WES7 SP1 by default.

13. pw5

pw5 MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2012
    I have successfully added the "Windows Search" package (winemb-natural-language.cab & winemb-search.cab) but later on I would like to remove it. May I know what command should I use? What parameters should I add to the dism.exe?

14. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    You can use either dism.exe /online /remove-package /packagepath:package.cab if you've got the .cab of a package, or dism.exe /online /remove-package /packagename:name with the package name. Use dism.exe /online /get-packages to get a list of installed packages.

15. dersonpg

dersonpg MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2012
    #56 dersonpg, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    Hello MSMG and other friends!

I wonder if they could be kind enough to store the package "WinEmb-BackupRestore.cab" at some site storage (DepositFiles, MediaFire ...) as I need this package only. It makes no sense I have to download the entire DVD Windows Embedded only to extract only that package.

I think it would be easier for us all of the forum if they were all separate packages available at any storage site.

I hope I can count on your help.

Thank you.
    :biggrin:

16. dersonpg

dersonpg MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Hello friends!

I wonder if someone could be kind enough to stay in a storage site only package "WinEmb-BackupRestore.cab" package responsible for System Backup and Restore features.

Do not want to download the entire contents of the Windows Embedded only because I need this package.

I would be very grateful if anyone can help me.

Thank you.

Anderson Oliveira

17. iMPL0DE

iMPL0DE MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2012
    I'll get it posted to cloudapp or dropbox at some time today, if thats any help.

Thanks for the useful guide OP, now I've got a awesome thinpc install on my laptop.

18. Gremo

Gremo MDL Member

Feb 19, 2011
    I'm getting this error running Microsoft Toolkit:

hlcec.jpg

AFAIK it requires .NET 3.5. I've installed (online):

winemb-iis-was.cab
    winemb-netfx30.cab
    winemb-netfx30client.cab
    winemb-netfx35 .cab
    winemb-netfx35client.cab

as explained in the first page. Thanks.