Windows Update Manager

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by DavidXanatos, Aug 16, 2018.

1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos MDL Senior Member

May 23, 2010
    @ShiningDog I added a tool script to disable UsoSvc and WaaSMedicSvc this is what stopwinupdates mostly does, you can test if this is enough to prevent a home edition from running forced updates.

Attached Files:

2. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    I've been thinking, the way managing automatic windows updates blocking is now handled is not quite what an end user expects as it strongly depends on the windows edition he runs.
    What we need is something much simpler or at least all options in one place, I think something like this:

Unbenannt.png

depanding on the windows edition options would be grayed out

3. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    #223 DavidXanatos, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    (OP)
    I implemented the new set of mechanism's
    here you see the screens (left to right) for Enterprise/Education, Pro and Home
    Unbenannt.png
    Note that when you disabled the option "Block Access to WU Servers" on windows 10 pro, the tool will ask you whether you want to disable access to update facilitators in orrder to keep Automatic updates blocked.

The operations performed when blocking update facilitation services are the same as done by the previously posted tools scripts, just that the steps are done by the application itself without the need to invoke any 3rd party tools.

EDIT: new fixed new crash on win 7 and 8.1

Cheers
    David X.

Attached Files:

4. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    uffff... I just found a problem: when UsoSvc is disabled this way you can not longer restart wuauserv until you have rebooted the PC.
    So here wuauserv tries to start the Update Orchestrator if windows thinks the service is present, and if it fails it fails.
    After a reboot SYSTEM does not longer sees the UsoSvc reg key and wuauserv can start normally.
    And next issue, when re enabling UsoSvc after it was blocked during reboot, will in turn require a reboot to start working again.

Now it seams i can have the same effect as disabling the service and blocking SYSTEM's access to its reg key by just changing the ServiceDll entry, but this would not be presistent enough I guess.

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Well, we're dealing with Windows here. Just let the user know that a reboot is required to fully switch the setting. We are Windows users. We are used to reboots. :wavetowel2:

6. zubber

zubber MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    Might be a dumb question but I couldn't find a definitive answer in the description:

Does it automatically exclude unwanted/telemetry updates for Windows 7?

Windows 10 telemetry often eats 40% CPU time; I'm sick of it. I want to use Windows 7 but can't trust Generation2 or Simplix because I do online banking. I'd love to install an OEM licensed Windows 7 with updates, sans telemetry. How can I do that? Please help. Thanks in advance.

7. sungerbob

sungerbob MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Nope, telemetry does not eat your cpu time, tested in Windows 7, 8 and 10. Actually Windows 10 give you %2 - %3 more performance than other versions. May be you can try to remove bloatware with msmg toolkit or use windows 10 ltsc edition, currently msmg toolkit doesn't work very well on 1809.

8. zubber

zubber MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    Thanks, no bloatware. Win10 LTSB, uber clean. Installed two banking apps (Windows only). I saw it with my own eyes, couldn't believe telemetry was hovering between 35-45% CPU time. Ugh..Antimalware was also running.

Nonetheless, how can I go back to Windows 7 as clean and as easy as possible? Some update tool that automatically blocks "heinous" updates? Thanks much

9. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
  10. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
  11. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #232 pf100, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    If you can prevent UsoClient.exe from running using the registry (I remove permissions or rename the file), you can leave UsoSvc enabled and running and it won't do anything until called by wuauserv. No reboot needed.
    Edit: Maybe reverse engineering WUB v1.1 could give more insight as it disables and reenables UsoSvc without requiring a reboot. But I think you did that already.

12. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    WUB has the same issue if you try to restart wuauserv before the reboot it will fail with an access error.
    But with booth tools after applying the tool UsoSvc will be disabled and the automatic update blocked, right away.

13. fracer2

fracer2 MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2018
    Dave, great effort on v0.7...

A couple of minor comments and a quick question:

1) 'Date" and "Size" column titles are reversed; sorting on these two columns does not appear to work.

2) I believe the abbreviations 'Gb', 'Mb' and 'Kb' used for size means Giga-bits, Mega-bits and Kilo-bits; For 'bytes' it's GB, MB and KB.

3) What are WUMG's dependencies on the services WaaSMedicsSvc, UsoSvc and SedSvc? I have removed them from all of my Win 10 VMs (1511, 1703 and 1709) and WUMG is complaining. (Note, 'wuauserv' is NOT disabled.) Is this a problem?

Thanks.

14. Wolfens

Wolfens MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2018
    v0.7 source does not load cleanly into VS2017 I get 2 errors
    Could not find type 'wumgr.ListViewExtended'.
    The variable 'updateView' is either undeclared or was never assigned
    prior versions loaded clean

The tool itself is looking good

15. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    @fracer2
    1) what do you mean with reversed?
    Sorting only acts within the groupes if you have only oen entry per groupe it wil not do anything

2) will be changed in the nextbuid

3) not much but on win 10 it checks if WaaSMedicsSvc and UsoSvc are disabled at start and the option "disable update facilitators" tries to stop and disable them.
    How exactly is it complaining?

@Wolfens
    What version fo visual studio are you using? Do you have the file ListViewExtended.cs in your project?
    I just tested with my 2017.4 and the exact sources form the release and it builds just fine, no errors.

16. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I think this is what @fracer2 means: Attached image shows date in the Size column & size in the Date column.

Tiny issue: if an update is selected and the "Support URL" function in upper-right is clicked, browser opens to "support.microsoft.com/en-us" but not to the KB page for the update.

Tiny typo displayed: "Search for updats failed".

Overall, it's looking great so far.

Attached Files:

17. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Columns fixed for next build,

I think the Support URL error is only in the history view and the reason is that M$ only provides this url for the historic entries in other views it shoudl work as expected.
    shell i remove it form this view?