Would MS be able to circumvent a modded bios?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jmichaud1, Sep 19, 2009.

1. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Will they and knock out every OEM machine built :D while they are at it why not go for xp machines with OEM info in DMI. Wrong as usual they will go for activation hacks and some loaders as they did with vista.

2. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    #22 frwil, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    May be i'm wrong, but i think NONE of oems make BIOS's with SLIC inserted by static method, at least now on new computers with Windows 7 preinstallation. All loaders (when they insert new SLIC and not just substitute existing) and 9 of 10 BIOS mods (at least for AMI/AWARD BIOS's) use static method. So MS can just look at RSDT/XSDT table and detect pointers to SLIC to figure out something suspicious.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The loaders use dynamic allocation (WOW definitively) since the super static address range is read only (on EEPROM)
    I have seen 3 official bioses that have got the acpi tables at super static address range, too.
    All Phoenix mods are dynamic, almost every AMI is superstatic. At Award there are slightly more dynamic than at AMI.
    Dell and Insyde are all dynamic, HPQ also.

(Almost) all official ACPITables are dynamically allocated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...