WoW6 / WOW7 pre-version for SLP2.1 is out!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Yen, Oct 31, 2008.

1. acerola

acerola MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    I just tried wow7 on win7. It seems to work fine. RW shows the slic 2.1 from hp. I have a gateway notebook with phoenix bios. It has slic 2.0 and allowed me to activate vista ultimate.

There is a small trick to install it. Win7 creates a special partition for boot files. So you must go to computer management and assign a drive letter to it. Then just copy the files, edit install.bat to put the right drive letter and run it.

I have a couple of questions about wow7:

1. It's not an emulator, it's a patch. But what does it patch? I believe it is not the bios itself, so is it like a copy of the bios in ram?

2. After grub and the patch run, does windows completely take over the machine or is there some code from grub or the patch still running?

3. How do I change the slic inside the image? Just hexedit the image itself? I noticed that there seems to be 2 copies of the slic in the image when I hexedit it.

2. crazyryaz

crazyryaz MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    a newbie please help

hi guys,
    your wow project is amazing... i can see it has helped out alot of people.
    i have a new laptop compaq 610.. would like to know if wow will work on it or not. and how to go about it

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thanks for your detailed report!
    Could you please post more deteils about your installation method? Thanks.

1. Yes you cannot patch the bios at EEPROM, because it's a ROM. After the bios has initialised, the acpi tables are allocated to physical memory. WoW looks for an existing SLIC at patches it there at physical memory. Additionally it patches the OEMIDs of RSDT /XSDT tables. If WoW doesn't find a SLIC it tries to introduce a SLIC by searching for free space using different algorithms. If there is no free space available, it tries to relocate tables, if not possible WoW exits and doesn't work!

2. The next OS to boot takes fully over! WoW doesn't run at background, so there will be no disturbances.

3. Open the image with winimage. There is a small file called WoW.exe, which is the 'heart' of WoW. Extract it and edit:
    First the OEMIDs in front of the SLIC at offset 0xA38 and after that the SLIC itself at offset 0xA58 to any you want. Save changes to wow.exe, replace it at the image, done!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jughead1111

jughead1111 MDL Junior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    hi wanted to try with win 7 have a question where do I do this and how (check rw-everything report for SLIC 2.1) thanx peace

5. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    #405 JFMuggs, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    Yen,

Two questions if you would be so kind:

1. What is the exact format of the 32 byte OEMIDs area at offset 0xA38? It's not clear if this has to exactly match the ID in the SLIC or what. Please elaborate.

2. I've been using WOW7 successfully in VMware v6.5.2. Windows 7 activates perfectly with the recently discovered key and everyone is happy. The mystery I'm trying to unravel is why none of the normal utilities (RWEverything v1.3, SLIC_Dump_Toolkit, etc.) are able to detect the presence of any SLIC, even though Windows obviously does. Is this also the case on real (non-virtual) machines (all of mine have v2.1 SLIC's at this point, so I can't test WOW anywhere else). I have a modified VMware BIOS that includes a DELL v2.1 SLIC and if I use it instead of WOW7, the DELL SLIC is properly found and identified. Only WOW7's SLIC seems to be in stealth mode to these utilities.

Many thanks!

6. acerola

acerola MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    I think this is an issue with VMware. My Gateway notebook has SLIC 2.0. When I install WoW7, RWEverything 1.3 shows the HP SLIC 2.1.

7. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. I just find it strange that the SLIC is found and identified properly by these same ultilites if the SLIC is actually in the VMware BIOS instead of being injected by WOW7.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #408 Yen, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)

Rw-everything should show the SLIC2.1 since it is really located at physical memory!

OEMID and OEMTableID: (0xE bytes in size ONLY!). They are needed to patch the RSDT /XSDT with the right OEMIDs as well.

Same are found at SLIC header.

Code:
    Offset      0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7   8  9  A  B  C  D  E  F

00000000                                  48 50 51 4F 45 4D             HPQOEM
    00000010   53 4C 49 43 2D 4D 50 43                            SLIC-MPC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. JFMuggs

JFMuggs MDL Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Yen,

It appears the problem with the SLIC not showing up is somehow related to the HP SLIC you used. I replaced your HP SLIC with the DELL QA09-1.0BNVDA v2.1 SLIC in WOW.EXE and it not only works, it now shows up as it should in RW-everything and SLIC_Dump_Toolkit. I don't know why WOW + HP SLIC + VMware don't all play well together, but WOW + DELL SLIC + VMware all get along just fine. The DELL OEMID is 13 bytes long (plus a trailing NULL) whereas the HP OEMID is 14 bytes, if that's any clue.

Maybe you want to consider using the DELL QA09-1.0BNVDA v2.1 SLIC in future releases? If not, please continue to document how it can be changed by the user.

Nice piece of software!

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #410 Yen, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    That's strange. I'll have a look later at wow, I want to update grub as well.

btw: The OEMID are 6 bytes and the OEMTable ID are 8 bytes, always by acpi specifications: Spaces (0x20) and zero bytes belong to them.
    Dell:
    Code:
    Offset      0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7   8  9  A  B  C  D  E  F

00000000                                  44 45 4C 4C 20 20             DELL  
    00000010   51 41 30 39 20 20 20 00                            QA09   .

11. CJRhoades

CJRhoades MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    WoW7 broke my Windows 7 RTM install. Not sure what went wrong because I followed exactly what it said to do. It said the key was accepted but when I restarted, I couldn't boot back into Windows because the installation is corrupt.

How do I fix this? I was using Windows 7 as my main OS so if I can't recover my files, I'm going to lose a TON of stuff.

12. slvrbllt

slvrbllt MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2008
    Thanks acerola ! Your trick did the job.
    I assigned the hidden partition the letter E:, installed WOW7 to E: and rebooted. RWE1.3 now reports SLIC 2.1 and... Windows 7 is now activated.

I love MDL.

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Boot using W7 DVD recovery mode. Access your wow partition and run uninstall.bat.

14. CJRhoades

CJRhoades MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I never made a DVD. I mounted the ISO image in Vista and it copied the necessary files to install Windows 7 to the hard drive. I'll go ahead and make a DVD on my Mac though.

Also, I didn't install WoW7 to it's own partition. I just installed at C:\. Was that the problem?

15. jimally

jimally MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009

16. CJRhoades

CJRhoades MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #416 CJRhoades, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    Ok I figured out how to get my computer to boot into Win 7 again.

For anyone else who installs WoW7 to the default place (C drive) and can't get their computer to boot into windows after you restart, do this:

1. Put in your Windows 7 install DVD and boot from it
    2. Open command prompt in the system restore menu
    3. Type in

C:\WOW7\Uninstall.bat

4. Reboot

If you do an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, it doesn't create a special partition for boot files so you can't install WoW7.

17. TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2009
    Wow6 works well with my dual boot vista64 and vista32. Im a bit curios with installing windows7 replacing the vista32. does wow7 works with vista64 using the serial i used in wow6? i already have a lot of files in my vista64 and i want it to cooexist with windows7 if possible. thanks to this forum. wow is really wow!

18. roxtedy

roxtedy MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2008
    Hello, I have Lenovo R61 and I using 7loader otion 2 and I have W7 activated. I think .... 7loader option 2 is WOW7. It is right? Sorry for my english