WWAN Option Missing in BIOS

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by LappyTamer, Mar 8, 2011.

1. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Have you tried going back to an older BIOS? I thought I saw F17 and F16 on the HP website. I'm not sure which is applicable because I saw mention of Intel and ATI video cards, so you'll have to pick the right one.

2. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    Yep, tried that too. F17 i believe was the one, with F19 being the latest. The modded one was based off of F19.

3. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    I'm beginning to think this is an un-solvable problem :/

4. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    Any more ideas? Anyone? I can attach wings to a pig if need be...

5. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    -one last bump-

6. FrancisDrake

FrancisDrake MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2011
    EXACTLY the same happens to me...tried something to activate my Sierra MC8790. Found a modified BIOS and flashed my old one. Don't know why, but before I deactivated the WWAN option.

Flash was sucessful (failure 105 disappeard), but card wasn't recognized in Windows XP. Tried to activate WWAN, but was disappeared. Was happy to found somebody with teh same problemand hoped, that there was found a solution...

7. FrancisDrake

FrancisDrake MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2011
    Doesn't work...damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    No luck here either. There aren't any options regarding the WWAN in there, or hiding/unhiding any settings :/ Just editing Assets tags, serial numbers, etc.

9. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    #31 LappyTamer, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    (OP)
    Tried it before, but it's worth another shot. I'm just confused about why it vanished from the BIOS. It has to be something due to the flashing, i would think.

EDIT: No luck with that. The card is the SW MC8781 if that helps anyone...

figured it out. I got the old GOBI back out, and popped it in. Option showed up in BIOS. Put the SW card back in, nothing. Looked at the pins on the cards, and the SW one has 3 extra pins wired on one side, and the GOBI has 2 extra ones on the other.

Ordering a MC8775 now -_-

10. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    I did. I'm not sure if i didn't seat it right, or what. I think the port may have a loose pin or something.

As long as the new one works, idc.

See if you can get a hold of another card for your laptop and just test it. They're not that much on eBay.

11. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Were you talking to me? I don't have even have an HP laptop or even a WWAN card in any Dell system I have at my disposal.

12. LappyTamer

LappyTamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
    Ooops, meant to direct that to Francis :)

13. FrancisDrake

FrancisDrake MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2011
    Hello Guys,

bought a Sierra MC8775 and installed it. Now WWAN option is appearing in Bios and everything works fine...