[DISCUSSION] Meltdown and Spectre

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by scaramonga, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I wonder what one should buy now. It takes time until this is fixed on the CPU architecture level.
    To my own experiences patching leads to a noticeable performance loss, especially at intense I/O operations. And that can be considered then as a reason to upgrade the CPU. But first Intel has to deliver such.

I wouldn't do that either....

But the patches come via WU...on w7 no problem, though.
    I also would say one can leave out the patches when using:

anti-virus and the like
    2FA on sensitive accounts

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. markokk888

markokk888 MDL Senior Member

Aug 13, 2012
    I have a non branded motherboard on my media center so forget the fix for it that thing will never gonna receive anything to patch this problem.. for branded ones if the mb is 2-3 years old the manufacturer is probably not gonna make the move to fix it either so.. lets pretend it never happened because in some cases you can't do anything to avoid this if this vulnerability strikes at full power then god help us all..

For a media center i don't care much about this because i'm not using it for important stuff but still this situation is kinda stinks in its own ways... for buying a new hardware is not the option probably at this time because there is no permanent good fix better wait for a new generation cpu's that is not affected by this but then again the price and if its worth doing the complete hardware upgrade.. this stinks in so many ways..

3. 2cmp

2cmp MDL Junior Member

Apr 2, 2018
  4. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    They really don't need to involve the Rotschilds various NGOs and organizations or DARPA if they wanna get into your PC, if that's what you suggesting :) I think it's all but natural that talented, smart people are getting grants/sponsorships or w/e they call them in their circles from these big players. Everyone has their interests.

5. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    lets try to stay on topic. this thread was originally about two decades of design flaws of cpu`s, and what we can do about it, correct me if i am wrong. but post #365 tends to make it deterorate into politics,,,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    this infects the very basic fundamental of computation. so its a matter of time before the exploit starts to eat computers up and turn them into a vegetable zombie land permanent citizens.
    its a silicon flaw, you can't fix this using software patches. if you can use the DNA to cure disease it would be perfect, what if the DNA is designed wrong, then the disease will not just wont be cured but many other diseases will get incorporated.
    Its a silicon flow, all the way upto transistors and semiconductors, it can't be fixed, but more flaws will turn up as time passes as of now its spectre NG whats next?
    may be i should to back to my hackintosh and create an installable macOS image for a real mac (unsupported model) for my friend. hehehe!
    when i was a a young kid, in 1995-1996 a senior told me "Security is a myth, especially IT security. We build a fortress in thin air and then a woodpecker comes and one peck and the whole fortress collapses like a house of card." now in 2018 i understand the real meaning of what he said back in those days.
    gah.... i am a bio chemist and system programmer so i have a choice if the IT world collapses. go back to bio chem.... meh i need to brush up my bio chem skills.

7. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
  8. fabre gastro

May 29, 2018
    sorry we have left kansas long back in january itself. dont expect hardcore bugs will be from now on only related to software itself. with meltdown and spectre we have broken the final barrier, most likely from now on it only be hardware related most probably. because the gain/profit are always high. and if there is a software bug it can be patched sooner or later with an update.... how will you do that if its on the hardware. like give away integrated circuits and plcs and fpgas to customers and ask them to update their hardware?
    ummmmm hehehehe
    plus intel gave open source firmware developers a middle finger slap. so ..... fix easy and fast for free? nah not possible.

9. fabre gastro

May 29, 2018
    like how? use fpga to design your own cpu?

10. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Interesting idea. We'd have to make compilers that work with any configuration
    of fpga's and compile the OS from source at every install.
    But no, I was talking about Spectre and Meltdown will be over in 20 years, not
    all future exploit prevention.

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm,maybe I'm wrong, but I don't understand because a lot of users around the world worries about this behaviours this always happen since a lot of years as I never make part of any bad organizations, robbers or similar because I need some big caution with my files all that I know and learned I always store in another HDD's, SSD's and still also record very important "things" in tradicional DVD and Pendriver each one with your correct name and importance and at least for me I never had none issues on Intel cpu's or Amd cpu's; I think that I first I don't have money a lot or I'm simply user that know what I doing when using PC so I continues simply working normaly although I know that "some" organizations want search, discover, catch some thing also is very simple I'm NOT Terrorist or something seemed then concluding I continues normaly without issues ever; I am from the time of IBM 8086 this means a lot but I have my precautions of course;):):D:p

12. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Yeah but now it's public and hackers know about these vulnerabilities. For now there are no known "in the wild" exploits making use of Spectre/Meltdown, but at one point you can bet that some nerd will decide to profit from all those old Core 2 Duo and Nehalem CPUs still running and make some nasty exploit, encrypt their PCs and ask ransom, or just simply steal their info - possibilities=endless. You don't really wanna get caught in that wave.

Although at the same time, it gets boring and annoying to patch every 2 months and experience more and more performance hits. I've personally patched all that could be patched, but it's getting kind of silly. I feel like starting to save money again for a new PC and sell the Z370/motherboard/8700K, buy whatever will be good and not suffering from multiple vulnerabilities, like Ryzen 7nm, Cannon Lake maybe.

Endless patching is just annoying. A PC hardware buyer should not be exposed to 6 months+ of endless security holes with fixes that kill performance, it's beyond dumb.

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  14. 2cmp

2cmp MDL Junior Member

Apr 2, 2018