Dual Boot Question - Is Linux side safe if Windows side is infected

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ZenGreen, Apr 12, 2019.

1. ZenGreen

ZenGreen MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2019
    I got my system set up with Linux 19.1 and Windows LTSC dual boot set up,

If the windows side gets a virus or attacked or something and gets compromised, (I dont really understand viruses but for example like something that searches your files and sends stuff out without you knowing) or whatever they do

If the windows side get effected and I dual booting into linux (no sharing partitions or files or anything) will any of the stuff that is attacked in windows will it attacked in linux. Or If Im playing games in the windows bootup and its compromised, can my linux stuff (files on HDD linux partition) get read or compromised

IN A NUTSHELL WHAT IM ASKING, am I safe using my linux set up if my windows set up is compromised. Or can the virus keylog me or whatever while using linux if the virus is in windows.

Sorry I dont understand a lot of this stuff

2. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    You are safe!! 2 different systems.

3. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Member

May 5, 2010
    Almost all viruses are written for Windows and will not run under Linux. Even if they could, because the systems are different, the exploit would not be the same.

Another thing to consider is that Windows does not read Linux file system. Basically, anything on a Linux partition is invisible to Windows.

4. pf100

pf100 MDL Expert

Oct 22, 2010
    As everyone said you'll be fine. A virus from one can't effect the other (so far).
    That's the greatest thing about dual booting. If one OS gets messed up you have another to fall back on.