Moderation and censorship at virtual forums. [Discussion]

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Garp _McGarpington, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I reckon you don't know me very well do ya?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    @Joe C

another example of you shamelessly backtracking :

Although it did harvest my email addy

I did not provide my email addy

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/the-untold-history-of-wdc.81566/

3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    We know you very well, Jo, better than you know yourself, plus right now there is no rock to hide under!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Your confused....
    I did not provide my email, and it did pop up in the log in box for the drop box log in. That is the reason it made me suspicious. Your attempting to find something that just is not there, maybe you should work for CNN.

5. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
  6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I would have no issue disrespecting yo' momma too, if I felt that it would be warranted. :D
    Actually, my comment had nothing to do with that person's mom personally.... but your free to take it as you will

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #27 Michaela Joy, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    You don't even know me, but yet you choose to assign a political label to me.

What you do is called "Shooting from the hip"

I'm sorry, but I have no respect for you at this point. :sorry:

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If you have a problem with history, it is not of my concern.

9. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Dear Mr. Orwell ,

We now have

Marshal law , armed police and troops on the streets ......... because of invisible annonymous enemys ....... ' Terrorists ' and ...... The flu

Lockdown

We've been told that we're facing a worse resesion than in the 1920s

We arent allowed to demonstrate

We arent allowed to gather in groups of more than two people

We've been warned not to express any views that dont fit with the official ones

We have to wear a mask when we go out

We've been told that a vacine will take at least a year

We've been told that the control will go on at least untill there is a vacine

The press is flooding the population with horror storys and distortions . people are on the edge of panic and hysteria

Opinions are being censored en mass in the net .

Today we were told that there is now a two tear system . Essential workers and the rest of us . ....... ' Essentiel ' workers ! ? ! ? ...... Essentiel for who ? ......... that the logistics work for the people in power ......... and for the people that they decide are essentiel ........ ? ........ What about the rest of us ?

There is talk of a tracking app duty .

Up untill now there's no rationing , internment camps or under the skin tracking chips for those that havent got NSA Dildophones .

Love Winston

10. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Joe ....... long story short ? ....... What are you on about ? Quote it ?

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    ohforchristsake!
    This is only a temporary situation! Please get a grip and realize that this will end when it ends. Already many states are lifting the Stay at home rules and what can and can not be open for business. Some states are very liberal as to what business can operate. It all depends on the areas that are most affected by this pandemic.
    You can not yell Fire in a theater and we all should follow the regulations during a pandemic.

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    MJ, the minute you start aiding and abetting these nasty men who enjoy hounding and mobbing others while hiding in a crowd of similar vicious men - I stopped respecting you and your "Ideas". Seriously, you're lost and I pity you, since you can't see whom you are enabling by giving them your support and pouring oil on that fire...

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Jo, if you can't understand that behaving unthinkingly, uncritically, according to prevailing mores of a given society is wrong, then you (or anyone like you, "grounded" in externalities) ought to be pitied...

14. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    These are all Red states, and they will be very, very sorry. It is way too early to lift restrictions. The U.S. is already the epicenter of the world since the government ignored all the warnings for months. Now people are saying it is fake as their friends, and neighbors are dropping dead. I hope it ends soon because human life is precious, but part of me wants these nut cases to learn a lesson.

15. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    & not a single word of condemnation for the misogynist self-proclaimed wife-beater.

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    If we ever learnt anything from Freud it is that people are - by and large - seriously irrational!!!

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    My thoughts again...:)

Now have a look at this thread....
    It turned to personal discrepancies where everyone 'finds' something let me say 'what is a no go' at others opinion, ideology, idea, posting, personal addressing..etc.
    I let it unmoderated for now as example. It is not off topic here...

Would it be not this special thread, it would clutter up any other topic that would not be:" Post what you think about other members and quote them...also post your opinion what has a place in a forum and what not".

But exactly to make those decisions is job of the team that runs a forum. It can only be that way. And by that it gets its own personality.
    To decide 'what' has a place here and what cannot be tolerated. And yes we are making mistakes, we are humans. Whenever I can take my time I participate in by active posting. Also here.

At most of other forums there are a lot of admins and mods which stay in background. They moderate and take care not to get involved in such matters. (To keep their nerves, LOL)

At moderation there cannot be agreement from everyone.
    Everyone here has an own opinion, idea and reason to defend his own POV.

And there are personalities which simply cannot go together when it comes to certain matter of discussion.
    To recognize that is maturity. Also not to respond and to accept a difference in personality rather than to 'fall back' to re-active patterns..

I compare that to my workmates. Some are close friends some are only workmates.

It is important that I can work with them together when it comes to work related (scientific) jobs to do...can I? Yes I can. Anyway some are no close friends and never will be.

The point is: Can I have focus on the matter OR do I lose focus drifting to 'matters' where discrepancies and verbal fights in other words 'the reasons why we are no close friends' become the main focus?

There are most of threads where it works. At IT / PC / OS related stuff (actually the major reason why there is MDL) it's not happening frequently because it is tech stuff with clear 'impersonal' topics.

And there are threads where the focus on topic gets lost and exactly that happens. It is then the job of a moderator to take actions and posts get deleted. Will be everybody satisfied later? Impossible.

When it happens the primary focus is always the same....(every)one wants to be right, the original topic does not play a role anymore. Everybody fights for his POV and if it goes further blaming / insulting starts...

The point is how are we dealing with each others. MDL is a community. And I repeat myself. I love to be here. I have friends here. It is a good place.

There are several reasons why exactly the MDL community is the way as it is. Those who like and have fun here come here..some everyday.
    There is a good team spirit.

Moderation is a every challenge. And there is no generic solution. It is a human matter and a matter of personalities.

I want that this is a place where people feel comfortable, but I also know it's no place for everybody.

18. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Yen: It worked like Fly paper. :D

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yes, Yen, generally this is - on a very abstract level - kinda OK...

However, the documented evidence here is overwhelming! Things are not exactly OK with this kind of moderation going on... The moderation was pretty scandalous in the other thread! And it is not the first time and as if you guys don't know about some of these posters, it's not as if they have done it for the first time... Race was brought into this by Trumpian means ("Chinese virus", they let it out etc.), so it had to be addressed and some of us reject the racial nonsense in all this - and yet our posts were deleted... I mean... honestly... Criteria were based on what?!?

Nasty, strictly abusive, personal, as well as (speaking on the level of principles) particularistic posts were reported and nothing has been done about them, they were left standing, whereas rational, well argued, principled and universalistic posts were removed etc.

So, I would have a further suggestion, in addition to my first suggestion to ask questions before you take potentially 'dubitable' action: why don't you guys talk amongst yourselves first, after we give you additional explanations, if one is required, before taking actions and hence avoid this pretty poor showing from the Corona thread...

I mean, you should not only have principles worked out between yourselves but also "triggering" levels for action, as well AND procedures to make sure gross mistakes (like Corona moderating) are avoided. Like any organisation dealing with disputes, really... And surely, if there is a dispute - we can add additional info/clarification and that might remove the need for unprincipled removals of decent posts v. nasty posts still standing!!! That really reflects badly on your Team, I am sorry to have to say!

20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I know what type of person gorski is and anything he states does not surprise me. I now know what type of person ipx is too.