Moving AWAY from Microsoft products IS very much possible for many people.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by smallhagrid, Dec 17, 2018.

1. dude905

dude905 MDL Junior Member

Jul 25, 2016
    I would love to learn Linux but my problem is which one to use there so many and how would I know I'm using the one that I would like when they're so many to choose, why is there so many different Linux OS. With windows, it's either home or pro and that pretty much it. Also, I don't think they're enough people to help all the new beginners that want to learn Linux. I think Linux would be more used if it didn't have so many different distros and I don't get why there has to be

2. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    As Linux is open source there is plenty to choose from, that can only be a good thing. If I were you I would start with Ubuntu, either Ubuntu itself, an official off shoot or one of the many Ubuntu based releases. You have two major choices, easy or hard, some are very geeky others are easier than Windows. The second choice is what hardware you have, some versions of Linux are very lite weight and will run on old low powered systems with ease others are as demanding as Windows.

I am presently running Lubuntu on a very low spec machine. Linux Lite is very easy to start with, MX Linux [Debian based] is my favourite, easy to install, loads of features and rock solid but requires a PC with a bit more poke than the one I have at present. Look at Distro watch and try a few, most run well from a usb stick, you do have to install them to really know if the one you fancy suits your needs.

3. dude905

Jul 25, 2016
    I have 3 Dell 2 desktop OptiPlex 990, 1 E7250 laptop, all running 10, all have i5 processors. Also, have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M71e SFF i3 processor ( W7 )... I have a custom build Asus Z97A Mb with an i7 processor ( W 10 )... and a Zotac mini PC ID91-U - i5 processor ( W10 ) and I'm waiting to get the newest Raspberry Pi 4B where I want to try Linux on one if I can but if I can't then maybe on the Lenovo PC since its the oldest

4. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    My daughter has a Dell Inspiron laptop, its pretty old, dual core 4gb ram, it was a Vista machine to start with. The laptop took the original Windows 10 upgrade but it has been frozen out of the most recent builds and was running at a snails pace. We installed MX Linux on it and it flies.

Don't be afraid of Linux, pick the right distro and it will be a comfortable fit, most of the preinstalled software will be stuff you already use or very similar.

If your going to do it don't try to run Windows software with Wine, its crap. Use software intended for Linux, there is so much more software available now than just a few years ago and more being released all the time.

I find Softmaker FreeOffice the best alternative to MS Office.

All your machines should run any Linux release with ease, Raspberry Pi is very under powered, I would use the Lenovo with MX Linux if I were you.

5. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
  6. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Lubuntu is great, really nice but awkward, its very stable but its almost as if its a test system for the next LTS due next year. I have had some issues with Linux Lite and other Ubuntu variants with hardware, they all run fine but as you say sometimes there is a problem with a printer, scanner, sound or something else. I just look for an alternative release if that happens, its very strange that one Ubuntu based OS will have an issue with a PC and another wont. MX Linux always works well but its not great on low spec PCs, MX is Debian based not Ubuntu, people keep saying they are the same but they are not, much the same as how Manjaro is moving away from Arch.

7. dude905

Jul 25, 2016
    @smallhagrid Nice explanation, thanks ... since I don't understand Linux and all but this is what the Pi4 B has in specs

Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
    4GB LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM (depending on model)
    2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
    Gigabit Ethernet
    2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports.
    2 × micro-HDMI ports (up to 4kp60 supported)
    4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
    H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
    OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
    Micro-SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage

@Kim100
    Apparently this Pi4B can install Linux with this program NOOBS for Raspbian but I just was wondering if anything else or where to start , thanks

8. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Same here but i can justify a cheap windows pc that also runs linux. .

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    In a Windows environment Rufus has never let me down when creating a live/installation USB drive from any image, Windows or Linux. UNetbootin is very good in Linux, although I find most distros provide something that will do the job, this is an easy task in Windows and Linux.

11. dude905

Jul 25, 2016
    Thanks, Yen, Smallhagrid and Kim 100 once I get more time I will have a look at all those links, much appreciated

12. kanisho

kanisho MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2019
    #96 kanisho, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Linux :
    - is frustating to use regarding gaming and daily usage (except maybe Debian[stable, testing is quite risky to use] Fedora and OpenSUSE Leap for daily use, the rest isn't worth it)
    - doesn't work as good on same hardware
    - is less secure (by default) than MS10, prove me wrong :)
    - is full of skirmishes towards Microsoft (blahblahblah spyware telemetry and so on, GAFA is way worse than M but it's because I read every privacy policy and verify facts before spitting acid)
    - is full of elitism and annoying peoples that barely contribute to improve things.

I could say more, but as much as I use both, I prefer W10 for 90% of my tasks.
    Moving away from Windows is still possible, but it really depends of use case you need.

Recommending random books over the web is quite weird, given you can get eveything with "man man" and ubuntu wiki

13. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    I used Debian Etch many moons ago and it was ok. tried a few "me too" distros but had problems on amd apus. went back to debian because many distros are based on something else, if there is a bug you have to wait for the fix on what it is based on then wait for your distro to get fixed so i said sod it and went back to the source. ive only used it "live" a few times but so far so good.

14. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    @kanisho and any other 'haters' who feel compelled to post here - this is from the OP:
    Gamers and others who are NOT OPEN to (or desiring to...) make such a change are hereby congratulated and invited to stay just as they most desire to be, in their happy zone !!

AND THIS MOST SINCERE REQUEST, PLEASE:
    Kindly also refrain from trying to poison the ideas of others who wish to aim at moving forward with the goal(s) of leaving M$ behind.

Diversity is GOOD !!
    You have yours, and we have ours;
    So kindly just live and let live, OK ?!?

15. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    It seems like the first step to trying out Linux is to get your hands on a computer with really old hardware. Trying to run it on relatively new hardware can be a nightmare, as I am finding out here:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/booting-a-live-distro-from-pen-drive-on-usb-3-0.80315/

When the Live CD/ pen drive throws up errors, the user is confronted with an alien command window full of gobbledygook. I know some DOS commands, but Linux CLI is different enough to leave me totally helpless. I don't even know how to exit (initramfs) and restart to go back to Windows - I have to hold down the power button on my laptop until the system powers off - hard shutdown.

16. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I would look at your bios settings and make sure you have built the Live CD/USB drive correctly. I have run Linux on all types of hardware and had no more problems than I have had with windows, probably less.