1. graver.x

graver.x MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2020
  2. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes it would be appropriate to have sub forum as new Apps will be added in future so that all related MSMG Apps will be under one main sub forum

Will ask the Admin at the right time when the new Apps are ready.

3. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    .NET FX3 language resources are stored built-in inside source images, you only need the main file for enabling it.

4. myvircandy

myvircandy MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2018
    Yes, I used both methods. I see. Thank you

5. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Is the case still the same that removed components will be restored after a user does new Windows updates?

@MSMG

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes it's the same however am testing a method to stop at least the System Apps from returning when an update is done, will share result soon once it's working.

7. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I appreciate it. Awaiting the update on this. Cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. graver.x

Jan 18, 2020
  9. ingviowarr

ingviowarr MDL Senior Member

Dec 14, 2009
    #17890 ingviowarr, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    @graver.x

You asking the right questions :)
    The same questions I had when I was dealing with the package fist time, but which I solved on my own by experimenting, as well as by reading the forum and asking friends here.

So, it's nice to check my own understanding with the answer by maestro @MSMG, when a good (this time yours) question sounds.

So, on my opinion:
    1. Don't worry about increasing the final size; proceeding with full necessary integration steps:
    - you'll stay within the normal/usual size limits.
    - your image will be prepeared completely + correctly

2. NOTE: Don't forget (remember and check it always) about "SetupMedia" component to update Windows installation procedure itself.
    Otherwise, Windows setup may fail even when all the rest updates were integrated/processed correctly.
    Yes, KB4592920 is important, in spite of WU Catalog describes such packs as "Dynamic", they belong to the "SetupMedia" category in the MSMG bundle.
    So, option [4] is exactly what you need.

@MSMG - My suggestions / questions

1. I think "SetupMedia" is not a very obvious name, especially for the newcomers + non-English users.
    Sounds closer to a kind of WMP or smth. It was a very confusing name for me, as I remember.
    Then I've understand a chain: Setup Windows -> DVD -> Media.
    Yes, DVD is a media. And a pretty forgotten association nowadays.
    "DynamicWinInstall" or smth. like that will be better, I think.

2. Why not stay having just one option in the menu, i.e. only [4]. For example:
    Code:
    Integrate to Windows Setup : Boot / Install / Recovery Image
    I.e. what you have in the WHD folders = integrated. No package = skipped (go to the next step).

For now, do I understand right:

- The bundle checks automatically which update packages were included to a folders
    - If you choose [4], but have some one missed, the bundle will not stop (no error) and continue prepearing the image anyway.

So why do not have just one (universal) option for any kind of integration?

10. fch1993

fch1993 MDL Senior Member

Mar 14, 2020
    How to write installorder.txt for Windows updates?

I want to install KB4587735 first then KB4592440.

But the installorder.txt doesn't work,

It still gets the error code because it runs KB4592440 first.

An error occurred trying to open - Windows10.0-KB4592440-x64.cab Error: 0x800f0823
    The specified package cannot be added to this Windows Image due to a version mismatch.
    Update the Windows image and try the operation again.

My installorder.txt

[InstallOrder]

KB4587735
    KB4592440

test ISO:

Windows 10 LTSC 2019.

en_windows_10_enterprise_ltsc_2019_x64_dvd_5795bb03.iso

11. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    That's how the Microsoft has been releasing the updated or refreshed ISO images with boot.wim and winre.wim containing the latest SSU and CU fixes added.

Just think you need to do a recovery or install the OS and with some systems the install or recovery process have issues due to some hardware then this can be fixed by having latest servicing stack and CU included.

It's totally left to user choice whether to have the DVD media fully updated.

12. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes soon will be removing the folder structure and using a single folder for all updates and make changes to script to recognize the update and choose the installation order.

The menus are provided for users choice, if people don't update boot/recovery images then they can skip it by choosing only integrate to install image.

For Windows 8.1/10 only the required updates are checked the rest are optional like dynamic updates, winpe updates, flash. net4

13. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    The DISM doesn't follow the order like it used to before, if you want to integrate updates for Windows 10 then use WHD Updates method.

14. graver.x

Jan 18, 2020
  15. graver.x

Jan 18, 2020
    #17896 graver.x, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    MSMG, is it possible in the Toolkit to manually adjust the compression ratio at your own discretion when converting WIM to ESD?
    It would be good for me to reduce it a little, since I do this work on a not too powerful PC.
    I tried it a long time ago, it loads the processor a lot, and it's a very long process.
    I usually did this in NTLite at the final stage, there in settings.xml the default value is set to: <WimCompression>2</WimCompression>, this is optimal for my PC.

The reason for many failures in the past... :D I can't help but thank you for your foresight!
    "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE" = "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SOFTWARE";
    "[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE" = "[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SOFTWARE";
    "[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" = "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SOFTWARE\Classes";
    "[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" = "[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SOFTWARE\Classes";
    "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM" = "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SYSTEM";
    "[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM" = "[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SYSTEM";
    "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\" = "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\";
    "[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\" = "[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\";
    "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER" = "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_NTUSER";
    "[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER" = "[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_NTUSER";
    "[HKEY_USERS\.Default" = "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_DEFAULT";
    "[-HKEY_USERS\.Default" = "[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TK_DEFAULT"}

16. BT 1

BT 1 MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Is it still so that one has to remove with package list instead of item by item or all at once?

17. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    The toolkit uses DISM for WIM<->ESD conversions and the available switches are

fast
    max
    none
    recovery

For WIM I do use the max and for ESD do use the recovery.

I don't know what the NTLite uses internally, does it uses the DISM or the Wimlib-imagex for exporting the indexes.

18. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
  19. Igor147

Igor147 MDL Member

Oct 20, 2016
    @MSMG
    Should this also be integrated with the new Edge?
    2020-12-22 18.12.35 mega.nz 6544fa0ecddb.png