Optimize-Offline Guide - Windows Debloating Tool, Windows 1803, 1903, 19H2, 1909, 20H1 and LTSC 2019

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by KedarWolf, Jul 30, 2019.

1. spanishfly

spanishfly MDL Senior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    #1281 spanishfly, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    "Cannot perform a clean-up of the Component Store while there are pending installations."
    You can safely ignore this.
    Why (I think) this happens.
    Optimize Offline correctly bypasses cleaning the Component Store when there are pending updates.
    In the mounted image, Optimize-Offline.psm1 checks for pending updates by looking for "pending.xml" in "Windows\WinSxS."
    See Line # 2015
    If (!(Test-Path -Path (GetPath -Path $InstallMount -Child 'Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml')))

There may be other reasons, but enabling .NET 3.5. in W10UI seems to be the "problem."
    If I apply updates to the image using W10UI then Optimize Offline cleans the Component Store.
    If, in addition to applying updates, I also use W10UI to enable .NET 3.5, then Optimize Offline aborts Component Store clean-up.
    The W10UI script handles updates and enabling .NET 3.5 perfectly so there isn't an actual problem, but the pending.xml must have final business to perform during install.

If you're feeling inspired...
    Since you seem to have ~29 minutes to kill while your script runs...
    After OO mounts your image, you can safely open the temporary mount folder and open in notepad 'Windows\WinSxS\pending.xml" and report back here with what it says.
    Just make sure you close notepad and close any open explorer window before the script finishes or you may have a left-over temporary mount folder that you need to get rid of. If that happens just close all explorer windows and run in an Admin command prompt:
    Code:
    dism /cleanup-wim
    or if you've mounted an ISO
    Code:
    dism /Cleanup-Mountpoints

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. rentay

rentay MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2013
    I might as well use a Celeron. I’m using a 2021 LG Gram (17”) however it only has a 500gb ssd so had to connect my Samsung 1tb via USB-c to get the job done

Will re-run OO and remove those extra apps. Do you know if removing File Explorer does this relate to the actual explorer we use for My PC, Drives, etc?

I’m currently in the process of moving (covid has set me back a lot) so I don’t have my desktop computer with me. I remember @KedarWolf originally had pictures uploaded on the op and I used these as a basis when I first ran OO around 12+ months ago. I saved these images however do not have them with me as my file server is in storage :( if anyone is able to post them that would be much appreciated :D

3. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    I have had a new update for a while now but have not pushed it because I have been debating whether or not to hold it off until Windows 11 is fully supported. I will not hold it off and push it to Github soon.

Windows 11 will be supported within reasonable time. Unfortunately, due to the copious amounts of traveling for work I've had to do this summer, I have not had the time to be nearly as present as I'd like to be in any project I have for public use (or even casually on this forum). That said, I will be more active in both since my traveling is finally tapering off. Moreover, I have continued to work on this project in my free time, as well as the major overhaul\update\GUI version that's been in alpha for over a year now in a private circle. The release of Windows 11 threw a wrench into my hopes of releasing that this summer, however.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KedarWolf

KedarWolf MDL Addicted

Mar 17, 2016
    Someone recommended to uninstall "Windows.CBSPreview", Now .msixbundle and .appx files will not install.

I really just should have just stuck with what I know works. :(

5. spanishfly

Dec 5, 2018
  6. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    ... same here, have always uninstalled it (Windows.CBSPreview) and have no issues with .msixbundle and .appx files installations

7. leo879

leo879 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2021
    So, I ran this Optimize-Offline on Win 10 LTSC 1809 (OS Build 17763.316) ISO. Running the created ISO on VM. Why do I see Diagnostic Policy Service running in Task Manager? Is it a necessary service or can be removed? If so, how?

8. spanishfly

Dec 5, 2018
  9. Cross Check Windows Services Using ServicesSuite GUI . Best Service Tweaking for Beginners.

10. rentay

rentay MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Have a link to ServicesSuite?

11. leo879

leo879 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2021
    Thanks a lot!
    Anyone, kindly link me to latest way to Microsoft Store App in my LTSC?

12. rentay

rentay MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Just installed my slimmed ltsc on my new Laptop, big thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread

Does anyone know how to prevent Windows from downloading some manufacturers applications? I have it all set to disabled, installed just the drivers for the hardware however Windows still likes to add an app or two.

For example, I have Thunderbolt 4 on this laptop and after installing just the .inf drivers, Windows decides I need the 'Thunderbolt device application' which does nothing more than identify what is plugged in to the Thunderbolt ports. I have disabled 'download manufacturers apps and icons'

13. spanishfly

Dec 5, 2018
    #1298 spanishfly, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  14. leo879

leo879 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2021
    Few doubts:
    1. What should I whitelist to keep Windows Defender? If I remove it, is there a way to protect PC against infected USB drives?
    2. If windows update is not disabled in LTSC, can an update revert back/install back some of features/capabilities/apps/services?
    Thanks in advance!

15. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    #1300 drew84, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021