Simplix Pack to update Live Win7 System/ Integrate hotfixes into Win7 distribution

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Enthousiast, May 13, 2013.

1. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    If you download and save the 1 MB-size UpdatePack7R2+.exe file and then run it every month a few days after "patch Tuesday", it will provide you with the most current version of the update pack.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Updated the links at the OP:)

3. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    #4043 CaptainSpeleo, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Will there be September 2021 add-ons for .NET Framework and Visual C++ Redistributable for the new update pack?
    These August 2021 add-ons are currently posted.
    1.JPG
    2.JPG

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #4044 Enthousiast, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    (OP)
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...l-wim-esd-creation.79421/page-74#post-1689179

I will update the post in the tool thread asap done:)

Updated the WA addon files post with the new vcredist++ files by @abbodi1406 :
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...-install-wim-esd-creation.79421/#post-1516362

5. SRVTGT

SRVTGT MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2011
    How can I check if the update applied correctly? In the update history I only see the updates up until 11-2020

6. ma.prezentalok

ma.prezentalok MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2012
    You can check system file modification dates and versions in %windir%\System32. Such as ntoskrnl.exe.
    But if there was no error in the log (%windir%\UpdatePack7.log) then everything should be fine.

7. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Hi...I have two existing W7 installations and they have 265 updates in one and 122 in the other. That includes updates and security updates. Used 'wmic qfe list' command in command window and directed output to a file..

I created a new W7 installation from a W7 Ultimate installation disk with SP1 integrated. I also added the cumulative KB3125574 update. I loaded several apps and confirmed they all worked. Later, I found out about the Updater featured in this forum and applied it to the installation. When it finished (UpdatePack7R2-21.7.14.exe), one of my apps did not start and there were only 57 updates listed.

Should there be more updates (updates, security updates, etc.)? I did not think to check before using UpdatePack7R2-21.7.14.exe.

I installed the same app in the W7 installation with 122 updates and it ran fine. The only error I can see is a werfault.exe error 0xC0000005, when the app fails to start, which seems to be a memory error.

I don't want to unload all the apps to create an install disk using Simplix since they take a while to install. Can someone suggest a solution?

8. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    The reason an updatepack7r2-serviced windows 7 image contains only 50-60 updates is KB3125574-v4. It replaces a metric a**load of updates.
    1. You're using an outdated version of the updatepack. Current version is 21.9.15.
    2. The 57 updates I explained above.
    3. Please... PLEASE specify what exactly you're installing/changing/adding/removing. PLEASE. There's programs out there that require specific updates to be installed on the system in order to work. On the flip side, some programs actually don't work because of some update or another. P L E A S E be specific in a technical forum.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    @shhnedo ...thanks for explanation. I checked my other W7 installation and only one has KB3125574, that's the one with 265 updates listed. I notice you added v4 at the end so I'll check to see if there is a different version of that update.

I'm aware of that. Would it make much of a difference to use newer updatepack?
    Sorry...I thought I had explained pretty well what I am doing, but I'll do it again.

I installed W7 Ultimate on a new hard drive from an install disk with SP1 integrated. I had not intended to go online with it, just to use the disk for music production. So, I loaded my music apps. They all worked fine until I used the UpdatePack7R2-21.7.14 update on the disk. Only one app refused to start, the rest are fine. When I loaded the app on another W7 installation (with 122 updates) it worked OK.

It should be fairly easy to find where it is failing since it's right after the splash screen. I plan to run the app on the windbg debugger and see where it fails. It's not a major crash, there is no BSOD and no dump file generated. I might use Ollydbg since it's a 32-bit app. If I do find where it fails, say in a call from a system module, I still have to track down which version it needs but I may be able to do that debugging the app on the W7 installation upon which it runs.

First, I need to see where it fails (in which module and version) then I need to trace that code to the same point in the good version and see which module and version is used. Then I need to track down which update replaced that module.

Thought it would be a lot easier to ask first. :)

If none of that works, I may try a repair install, which should move the installation back to SP1. I can check to see if the app runs. Then I can try the cumulative update and see if it runs.

Or...I could try one of the Simplix integration packages and upgrade my W7 Ultimate SP1 disk, then try a repair install. Don't know if that would work. Just d/l'd SiMPLiX_AiO_ISO_Tool_v19.12.19 but need some time to learn how to use it.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why that ancient pre ESU version?

Best to use the latest version available and put in the latest UpdatePack + WA addons + Smartfix, for being able to use the created ISO for repair upgrades you need to run "W7_x86_x64_2.7_Legacy_WIN7_Based_ISO_ESU_With_AiO.cmd".

11. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    I'm fairly new to this hence the confusion. I got the Simplix package here:

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...-aio-iso-with-install-wim-esd-creation.79421/

Is there a newer version?

As far as the repair install, I noticed in XP, with the Harkaz SP4 unofficial update, that it created an install ISO that did not allow a repair install. Instead, it created another Windows folder that could be booted independently of the original Windows. Does the cmd file above add the ability to select repair install?

12. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    After consulting my non-existent crystal ball, I've come to the conclusion that the app in question just doesn't like you and, apart from remaining completely anonymous, doesn't want you using it. Maybe we should try fortune cookies...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Some apps definitely don't like me, or so it seems, but I have found that persistence generally gets them going. I have not started investigating this one but it's odd that it works on one version of W7 and not another version. I like mysteries and have the skill to go beyond crystal balls.

I could give you more info but that would require getting into reverse engineering. I want to be polite and not discuss areas of reverse engineering that might not be welcome here. I am trying to keep the discussion to system-level modules related to updates and not get into the specifics of code analysis.

You have given me enough information to get me going and I appreciate that. I am hoping Enthousiast will get back with info about the right Simplix package to use, or maybe you could help with that.

14. gordo999

gordo999 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Is this the latest version to which you refer?

SiMPLiX_AiO_ISO_Full_Tool_2_7_21.8.11

I found W7_x86_x64_2.7_Legacy_WIN7_Based_ISO_ESU_With_AiO.cmd in that folder.

15. Difermo

Difermo MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2015
    Hello:). I have question if some1 can answer. Thanks..
    1) does this method update all updates (including telemetry updates) ?
    I have genuine iso of windows 7 ultimate sp1 64bit, and i would like to integrate updates without those telemetry updates + to integrate ie11, latest netframework supported for W7 and vcredist

16. bphlpt

bphlpt MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2010
    @gordo999, no disrespect intended, but I really don't understand why you are having difficulty finding the current version. Look in the very first post of this thread. About 4 or five sentences down you should see this:
    So the current version of the UpdatePack is 21.9.15, and it should be updated sometime in the next two weeks or so. Links for the UpdatePack itself are directly below that text.

Scroll on down, while staying in the first post, until you get to:
    You are correct above that SiMPLiX_AiO_ISO_Full_Tool_2_7_21.8.11 is the latest version of @Enthousiast's tool, and he is trying to tell you to use the latest tool + WA addons + Smartfix AND the latest UpdatePack.

As to what @shhnedo asked you, look at it from his, and everyone else's perspective. We have all read what you said, roughly paraphrased here:
    Besides the fact that you were using an old version of the tool and, I assume an old version of the UpdatePAck, without knowing what the app is EXACTLY, including version number, no one will be able to even begin to help you. It will also help to know EXACTLY what happens when you attempt to run the app besides "it won't start." What does it do? Error message of any kind, or what? Have you tried installing ONLY that app in a clean installation of your Simplix'ed install to see if it runs then? If it does, it might help you narrow down what is causing the interference. I have no idea what else to suggest without knowing more about the app and the symptoms.

Cheers and Regards

17. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    @Difermo
    Don't worry about "telemetry" all that much. Simply disabling diagtrack and ceip services should be enough. This isn't windows 10.

18. Difermo

Difermo MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2015
    How to do that? Running script W10Tel.cmd from link below?
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/disable-remove-telemetry-and-tracking-service.68131/
    And one more question.. I dont know if i integrated @abbodi1406 his WA addons
    I just puted them next to UpdatePack.exe in C:\ and then runned command: UpdatePack.exe /ie11 /NoUSB /WimFile=C:\W7\sources\install.wim /Index=4

They will be integrated inside alonge with updates?

Is there anything else i need to do or is recommended for security reason?

19. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    P.S. I'm mostly pointing out stuff that's already in OP. You just have to read it.

20. Difermo

Difermo MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2015
    Yea i read that but was confused.. thanks for replaying.. wish you the best..