Tool to Insert/Replace SLIC in Phoenix / Insyde / Dell / EFI BIOSes

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by andyp, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Quasimodo

Quasimodo MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2009
  2. speezy

speezy MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2018
    Hi,

may i ask a question about an old dell server?
    I tried to mod dell poweredge 1950 Gen 2 Bios version 2.7.0 to support cpus from gen 3 1950 server. (Same Bios file and confirmed working)
    Both the windows and the linux versions of the flash tools are uploading the new bios successfully.
    But when the server reboots to apply the new bios i get the error "BIOS Update Attempt Failed!"

Is there anything i did wrong?
    Up and downgrades with original hdr files are working fine.

regards

3. b1Ack

b1Ack MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2013
    Maybe it use some sort of image digital signature or CRC. You can update ucodes by dumping image and flashing it back via HW programmer, or just look for a method to update only microcodes (for some vendors exists tools to do that, or look for downloads like "microcode patch" and make own new one).

4. Vincent the Tortoise

Mar 4, 2018
    Hello. I am new to flashing bios in general, so I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

I came here to your tool thread from a link back at bios-mods, as I am trying to recover my laptop from a bad bios update. My Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 320 14-isk Type 80XG. According to the label attached to it, it was manufactured this May 2017.

The motherboard of my laptop houses an EFI/Insyde bios (filename is BIOS.fd, which I extracted from an executable I downloaded from my laptop model's page), and I understand that the BIOS.fd is what I needed to flash recover my Laptop's bios via USB drive.

Since the recovery method requires using your tool to determine how I should rename the BIOS.fd file, I used the phoenixtool.exe included. I selected the 'Module' method, since it seemed to be the less risky out of the three.

However, when I clicked 'go', the process went on for a moment before an error pop up reading 'Insufficient space to manipulate modules' appear every time.

Going by that, should I change the method to 'Code' or 'Dynamic' for it to work, or are there other things I should do to make the process successful?

5. Ciber SLasH

Ciber SLasH MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2011
    Bug in v2.73: need scroll window for access buttons "Go", "Advanced", "Verify"
    ScreenShot_2018-04-05_130129.png
    PS: OS = W7 x64, classic theme.

6. beachcity

beachcity MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2018
    #4172 beachcity, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Thanks for all the help.

7. smokemo

smokemo MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2018
  8. zhuzhuwg

zhuzhuwg MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2018

Attached Files:

• err.jpg
      err.jpg
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
  9. maxmen77

maxmen77 MDL Novice

May 4, 2013
  10. acc4iload

acc4iload MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2011
    Hi.

May I ask what the option "key file" is meant for? I saw versions with two (KEY and KEY2), inside seems to be some code, could be a Windows serial.

Anyone knows what it is meant for? Do I need it for a successful SLIC mod?

Thank you for explanation.