What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by sid_16, Jun 9, 2013.

1. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    smoking my peacepipe philosophically, chemically, scientifically, fatalistically, and peacefully:shisha:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    All this psychobabble and spirituality muddle is not what life really means. We tend to over analyze things.
    Eat... Drink and be Merry!!!
    For tomorrow we may die.
    Love God, your neighbor and yourself! Stick to that and your life will be better. This is a better meaning

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Like that this planet dies, too... Or at least our kids' and their kids' chances to live well in a sustainable manner...

But am I surprised at such "spirituality"? Am I fook...

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    What I mean is:
    You do not 'gain' spirituality by the study of it. You do by experience.
    You can categorize it by a particular study for instance according to Hegel.

If I got it right (I am no pro) there is a hierarchical system of dualisms and the synthesis of both that requires including and finally transcendence.
    By that there is a new notion which is also one part of a higher dualism. It 'ends' at the Absolute.

Generally: Thesis / antithesis and synthesis.

The highest of all is present at any lower dualisms.
    So far 'the study'....(even if it's by far not that detailed as a pro knows).
    I am personally more familiar with other notions for instance absolute spirit / consciousness and 'first derivation' human spirit / matter.

I do not talk of separation or disconnection.....
    I talk of 'where' is ones current awareness? It's something about present state of consciousness.
    It's not about what one has studied.
    I tried to express that by:
    Can one focus there where 'spirit' has not yet got to the lower 'derivations' where for instance emotions are dulling the higher instance...
    The praxis is known to me as meditation. Or simply focus.
    I mean how should I express myself differently? A religious person would say talking to God....:p

And if I got it right Hegel speaks of development / realisation process relative to time as a human spiritual development.
    (Sometime in the future humans can 'achieve' the highest)...

I myself think time cannot play a role since time itself IS transcended from one dualism (step) to another wherever that is (hierarchy, which is actually also mental and by that a derivation of Absolute spirit already).

In other words the Absolute has no time and IS now (before humans). It is doing its works (all the time).
    It is not related to intellect and study since both are already products/derivations of it.

This sounds mystically I know. But AFAIK Hegel was not un-mystical himself...

Focus on it is possible all the time, but only now and not tomorrow. The mentioned 'realisation of spirituality' itself.

I mean 'how' does one get aware of own spirituality? By 'insight' or study of lecture?

BTW: What do you think about Whitehead? :)

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah, don't bother yourself with "tomorrow" - that kind of "spiritually"...

"Eat... Drink and be Merry!!!
    For tomorrow we may die."

What about our kids' tomorrow and eating and drinking and being merry? Will they die old and after a fulfilling life?

I am posting in the RIGHT thread! You are - on the other hand - revealing your "spirituality" quite nicely... "Don't think, just do, serve yourself, who gives a rat's arse about others, even if they are your very own..." Swell...

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #547 gorski, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Dr Mengele experience? A lowly executioner in Auschwitz experience? Nuclear physicist making weapons of mass destruction experience? When did you abandon critical reflective capacities you have?

One could do a lot worse... ;)

This comes from your preconceptions. I already explained what "speculative" approach by Hegel means, read back, please...

See above... It's also valid for your stuff that follows after this sentence...

Perhaps newer research might show towards interconnectedness of our abilities:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/martha-nussbaums-moral-philosophies

My condolences... :D :p :D

Yes, sometimes, i.e. some Humans, not all, sadly... Even if they are highly educated! But that happens all the time, in all epochs. We don't have to wait for that in some far away future...

Not sure if I understand you correctly, so I must pass on this one...

No, you got it wrong. It is "in time", Human time, it isn't without us, it's through us and it has to do with Reason in a Hegelian sense... Whether one is formally educates is immaterial. But one must study! A helluva lot!!! Without applying oneself in any field one is not going anywhere far!

I will not say this in a malevolent sense but factually: sorry, you simply do not understand it. Not unusual, as it takes a lot of time and effort to understand Hegel's ideas properly... It is quite complex, so no wonder...

Ermmm, nope, Hegel's dictum, being a speculative Philosopher is "At the beginning there was Future!" We are nothing without that dimension. We would never have come down from the trees or got out of caves etc. Our essential potential is not to be forgotten...

There is no guarantee, whichever way one takes but... One must apply oneself and it is not easy without any reference to any other Human before oneself... Not since we have such a rich tradition already waiting for us to delve into... Even autodidacts (and there are some important ones in our History) must study a lot. "Meditation" on its own won't get anyone far in a hurry...

Nothing, sorry, haven't studied him beyond minimal info during Logics classes. But I could never see any point to that line of enquiry... Why?

8. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
  9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #549 Yen, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    This is the only reply I cannot comprehend (your way of thinking / relations).

Nobody ever I personally met who is involved in spirituality (albeit differently to your understanding about spirituality / especially meditation) would relate 'the experience of' to what you've related to.

It's quite the opposite (to megalomania). They are social and caring personalities with even their egos in the background. With benefits to 'human understanding and nature'. Just 'simple and nice' personalities with abilities for human empathy.

Here as well. I'd never think one of the contributors here with ideas of spirituality would have Mengele as perfect model to mimic for themselves, sounds rather absurd...

He frequently is listed as a great thinker as well when I researched about Philosophers such as Kant, Hegel....thought you could. I myself don't know about, though...

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Hey, don't look at me, I am not the one who put it like this:

Yen said:
    "What I mean is:
    You do not 'gain' spirituality by the study of. You do by experience."

You obviously want to rephrase... :D But then I think you will also have to re-think... ;)

Whitehead? Logics of the kind these guys insisted on leaves me stone cold. For the life of me I can't figure out what they want with it, what they are hoping to achieve... One day at a lecture, I told it to my professor of Symbolic Logic, after solving his mistake in a rather long equation (much to his puzzlement, given I could figure out what he was talking about), he was looking at me as if I am a traitor to the cause... But to this day, the aims/goals and meaning of their effort - it's all eluding me...

11. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    the meaning of life is feeling completed and peaceful when you leave this world,

12. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @zen45: I totally agree.

@gorski::shutup2: and enjoy your life. :) Whether or not there's a G_D is entirely up to you. So is believing or not.

Whatever choices you make, let them bring you peace and joy. In the end, that's all that really matters.

Be happy...:idea:

13. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    This statement will suffice for @gorski to start a crusade against you disguised of a discussion. Just wait and see.
    :tooth:

Someone programmed him to just not shut up, ever.

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    this never ends...;)

15. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    mr,x does not know yet that our pink panther is a bot in disguise ;) he has succesfully slipped through Yens` botsieve.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    This could easily be turned around and go sideways....
    One has to wonder if Ted Bundy, or Charlie Manson felt that way?

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    American nonsense of "just being happy"...:rolleyes: Cor blimey! Take that "story" to Beethoven and see what is left of his opus after he has had a "happy life"... For instance.... So, as for "shutting one up", that ought to do it... :rolleyes: :D :p :D

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #558 Joe C, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    There are strange peeps out there that are gifted. Take Van Gogh, who lopped off his ear for a hooker, or someone like Tesla that was a genius when it came to electricity and inventing the electric motor but had no sense of business and was taken advantage of by the likes of Edison and Westinghouse. Did they live "happy" ? I'm not sure we will ever know

19. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    :laie:

Q.E.D. :D

20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Look who's laughing....:rolleyes::D:p:D:rolleyes:

Jo, Tesla was the nicest person around. And you want to take that against him, as if this is some kind of "failing" of his? Jeez, it takes all sorts...:confused: