Windows 10 - 1803 - Auto Update Disable

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Deleted member 993262, Jul 14, 2018.

1. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. I tried yours and i don't know how to check if it works because the entire update page is disappeared, so i can't check the button to see if it fails.
    Service for windows update is set to manual with yours.

And since i'm having troubles with this i have this new task running in the background, its new to me: distributed transaction coordinator.

WUMT Wrapper Script by @pf100 (windows update mini tool) when i open it it jus't displays nothing. only some buttons to press but nothing happens. nothing is listed.
    And before it opens the main screen it gives a error saying acces denied. OK.
    [16:24:45]: Translated by Mr.X
    [16:24:45]: Windows Update Agent version: 8.0 (10.0.17134.1)
    [16:24:49]: Searching for updates
    [16:24:49]: An error has occurred: 0x80070005 Toegang geweigerd

The software from BAU i havn't tried because the screenshot seem to add more stuff to windows then i want and need. i wan't less stuff not more add to everything.

I think i have removed all update task already, can you tell me which once i should disable so i can double check?

3. BALTAGY

BALTAGY MDL Guide Dog

Dec 23, 2014
    It's normal the page is disappeared, you can check for updates using Windows Update MiniTool and see if it can check for updates

If you check for updates and nothing listed then update is already disabled

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. as i have said that program does not work.

5. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Nevermind folks, this thread is just trolling at this point. "The software" being one plain-text batch script :oops:

6. I think your talking about me right? I have said it 3 times i think that it does not work and also why so..............

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    It is more of a challenge then and if you get something working on Home, then you know, it will work on any other version as well. :cool:
    Like this, it prevents auto-checking for updates, yet manual checking or WUMT, work just fine. Windows Defender updates should as well.
    Code:
    takeown /f "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /a
    icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\UsoClient.exe" /inheritance:r /remove "Administrators" "Authenticated Users" "Users" "System"

Attached Files:

8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
  9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    #29 TairikuOkami, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    It works by itself and I have never seen it being reverted. It does not block Windows Update, it makes it to fail and to postpone it for another 24 hours, when it fails again. I do not see a reason to over complicate things with millions lines of code or to use a questionable 3rd party software, which does know knows what with admin/system rights, for something that simple.

WinUpdate works the same way like malware A > B > C > D > ..., you do not have to block everything, just break the chain and that is it, it is blocked. Like disabling WSH prevents 99% of malware.
    Microsoft is also too direct, people disable WU service, so they make sure to keep it enabled, no matter what. But block anything, that WU service is dependable on, like DHCP or internet, WU will fail.

Attached Files:

10. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
  11. Strange.
    I tried the windows show tool and it says no hidden updates. nowhere on my computer are there any installed updates, but when i look at files that where downloaded to my computer it shows 17 Gigs of data from windows update from yesterday so it did install a update but i can't see it anywhere.

12. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
  13. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    I know very well how stuff works, I was actually the first to suggest blocking individual components as to not break Store or Defender updates.
    Before I delved into this, people were just messing with wuauserv and got owned each time Microsoft sneaked it's remediation services (I witnessed how after 45+ days of being blocked, a 1607 build managed to re-enable updates despite denied ownership blah blah and firewall entries, by morphing repairs via another service, and ms domains entries being white-listed in the DNS service itself. Thankfully, that should never happen again after the backlash MS received the last two times, but you never know).
    I started by offering a whole suite of reliable blocking scripts (windows_update_reboot_toggle.bat windows_update_notifications_toggle.bat windows_update_installs_toggle.bat windows_update_downloads_toggle.bat windows_update_service_toggle.bat).
    Then I made my all-in-one windows_update_toggle.bat as the natural evolution, with more features (hide-unhide-apply updates straight out of desktop context-menu, automatic lists updates by hijacking musnotification, defender update trigger - pure innovation). Troubleshooting and auto remediation options remain happy. Event log is not super flooded by errors. It has worked fine for months, for thousands of users. But it's still lacking, same as other solutions. I'm hoping the next version will be well received.
    But in the mean time, what I see often is people having various issues with Windows while working / playing - they are not generally against updates "anti-vaxers" how some reddit retards calls any power-user. So that's where the hush_windows.bat script comes in - one click to make it go away: updates, upgrade notification nagging, telemetry, diagnostics, onedrive, outlook, backgroundtasks (like Edge and others lingering around after being closed), Defender (2 more options toggled on top of Realtime one), Cortana, focus-stealing InputApp / touch keyboard, search Indexer, generic wuauserv service (that store and others depend on), and even preventing all UWP apps (even Settings and Calc). All choices being selectable in a powershell-based GUI at install time. Once you no longer need the PC, can easily let Windows do it's thing again with a right-click.. or not.
    <10K plain-text batch script, focus on common users convenience first, simplicity second, and code readability only third (batch is the simplest language, and the few bundled hybrid js / ps are also not rocket science for a power-user in case it wants to modify it).
    Don't know how I ended up writing all this, when all I wanted to say is that you should not s**t on people's work around here that put tens and hundreds of hours into fighting Microsoft for control over updates and other stuff. It's not that simple as you put it, it's not as reliable, it's not as portable, not as convenient, not as well-rounded, not as safe and not as easily revertible.

14. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    That's what I said :D

15. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    #35 TairikuOkami, Jul 14, 2018
    No problem, I did not read it all.

I have no idea how did you come to the conclusion, that I do not value other's work. You are the one, who is doing it, being I-know-it-all. I am a noob and I do not know how scripts work, just saying, that there are tons ways of doing it, some easier, some more complicated. Whatever works is just fine. I like to know, what I am doing (to learn), so I do not prefer to use tools to do it for me.

P.S.: Tools from MDL are used only by a handful of people, because they are untrustworthy, made by a warez/hacker forum (a general perception), unlike digitally signed tools like StopUpdates10

16. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Conclusion is after reading the quoted post.
    Also, your info is outdated, no self-respecting malware has used WSH this year, it's all about mshtml.dll, WMI, .SettingContent-ms, powershell and a dozen more UAC bypass shell scripting. I personally find it stupid to see WSH disabled on systems I work on, and always demonstrate the owners how they are only crippling their machine scripting out of fear, when new malware runs just fine without it. Nothing beats running with a limited account, any AV, even Defender, browser protection from 0-day (ublock/no-script/etc) + not clicking "update flash/x/y" while visiting those "ufc live/movies online/scarlett johansson first gangbang" sites.
    Pardon my modesty, it's one of those days :rolleyes:

17. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    #37 TairikuOkami, Jul 14, 2018

Attached Files:

18. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    And I'm telling you mshtml.dll can launch scripts directly in memory (even better than WSH - with json support for example), same as wmi with it's own script interpreter and persistence feature. Microsoft f**ked up with the settings application and you can get pwned simply by clicking a link, and countless other shell exploits available to any dumb kid, in a nice wizard. I had PoC for months. Most are not even blocked now. The era of "conscious computing" has passed - now even the pros are relying on an automatic AV solution to do the heavy work. What are your specs, I might need your PC later, since you're bragging about not using an AV :)

19. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    #39 TairikuOkami, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Sure, it is not 100%, but disabling WSH limits the attack vector significantly, it is enabled by default, so malware does not even check. And WSH is not really needed by anything, so no problem.

Then I better to take a look at it. ;)
    EDIT: Well, I remove activex, I wonder if this is enough?
    Code:
    takeown /f "%SystemRoot%\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil_ActiveX.exe" /a
    icacls "%SystemRoot%\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil_ActiveX.exe" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:F /c
    del  "%SystemRoot%\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil_ActiveX.exe" /f /q
    takeown /f "%SystemRoot%\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil_ActiveX.dll" /a
    icacls "%SystemRoot%\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil_ActiveX.dll" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:F /c
    del "%SystemRoot%\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil_ActiveX.dll" /f /q
    takeown /f "%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil_ActiveX.exe" /a
    icacls "%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil_ActiveX.exe" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:F /c
    del  "%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil_ActiveX.exe" /f /q
    takeown /f "%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil_ActiveX.dll" /a
    icacls "%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil_ActiveX.dll" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:F /c
    del "%SystemRoot%\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil_ActiveX.dll" /f /q

I have not used AV since Vista, not even firewall until recently (started because of CCleaner). I have WMI disabled, powershell removed and so on.

20. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    If it works for you, then no worries. Take everything I said this evening with a pint of beer. I know I did. Been drinking for 9 hours. Too hot over here,
    gotta stay hydrated, and I'm not a fan of water :D. And England lost, again.