Redmond tricks us psychologically.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kattekop, Aug 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    AFAIK monopoly and innovation have been always contradictory.....besides of the dependence on the monopoly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Still repeating the urban legend the urban legend that linux is complicate?

The vast majority of the users couldn't care less of the supposed complications. People cares about money, and since Windows has alwasways been free of charge (or with hidden costs hidden in the HW price), Linux has no perceived advantage for any average Joe

MS is an empire founded on the so called piracy, backed by the ignorance and the laziness of the crowd.

That's all

4. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    You Really wanns know who she is :confused: Make a Wikipedia page on her or post a few Meme's of her naked or with devil horns anywhere and You'll find out just how much control of the Internet Microsoft and their Attorneys have :fear2:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kattekop

kattekop MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2010
    #25 kattekop, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    (OP)
    I've started this new thread, because in another thread about DirectX compatibility I was helping a user in his problem.. Result: choice of nice way or follow an "unnatural" path..
    Well, m$ can code, but WE can, too.. and coding your own is nice. Our job will be, lads and guys, writing m$ extensions! Like with big snowballs, no one could have forseen this. 'Life before the computer' picture is a cool one ;)

Right now I want to code a console app that offers ability to change and write the 'install.edb' file inside Win10 ISOs.
    This way, full customisation would be possible for fresh Win10 installs. Based upon DISM.exe

"Now get to work b!", Britney sung ;)

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #26 PhaseDoubt, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. vyvojar

vyvojar MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2016
    Can't post links, but google 'Tim Sweeney claims that Microsoft will remove Win32, destroy Steam'

There's a kernel of truth in that. Microsoft has recently gone all in with W10 - either they manage to capture the gaming market with UWP (=metro) using the usual underhanded tactics (DirectX 12), or it will be a flop even bigger than Vista.

So far, the strategy to push AAA game publishers to be DX12 exclusive seems to be winning (fe people upgrading to W10 to play gears of war) to kill Windows 7 marketshare, and Win32 with it.

8. kattekop

kattekop MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2010
    #28 kattekop, Aug 22, 2016
    (OP)
    "Holy CR/LF, I just started a whole discussion."
    -me
    steve urkel would say: did i do that..

on the subject, it's needed such a discussion going back to 'supermarket persuation' and 'supermarket secrets'.. we fool ourselves in also that way that some of us (if you like that word better (from more previous post)) feed microsoft. m$ doesn't ask for customer infos, it Grabs them, all unnoticed. telemetry.

Win10 has shortcomings, to be able to speak of being a fullblown botnet.

9. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    True. Of course monopoly is bad for innovation and value, and nobody can dispute that.

But the actual situation is more of a “tripoly” with one of three parties dominating the market. It is allowed to do so by the two other parties, one of whom is expensive and the other hard to use.

This market domination by MS is also bad, but in the circumstances, I contend that the alternative would be even worse:
    If affordable Microsoft wasn't dominating the market, then we wouldn't find so much software and help for it, and we would either have to pay much more or put up with exasperating inconvenience.

And that’s what I meant when I said that I’m glad Microsoft is the one (of the three) dominating the market.

10. kattekop

kattekop MDL Novice

Apr 23, 2010
    #30 kattekop, Aug 22, 2016
    (OP)
    The small software inventing companies build around giants
    and
    I have a Problem/Solution for your needs, marketing model

and Microsoft has been warned before (Netscape browser affair, a time ago).
    Believe it or not, the law's text are built up on a 'IF..ELSE..ENDIF' clause, which is good.
    m$ making their same mistake with 'Microsoft Edge' now like in the past ("the users free choice of browser, letting others companies a chance"? times aren't the same, and they are clever, so maybe not.

People look up to a vast icon in a nichemarket, thereby thinking: "This dude knows it all. I'm all ears! And I will forget about the other merchants their products!"
    And that's a big problem too. The right can be wrong too. Everything had a start once, and on the other side of the start is the end. if, talking linear. lifespan is the word.
    Another product can be even better (the case of compatibility mentioned)

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    So if Microsoft is so bad, why are so many still using it in one form or another? There are viable alternatives generally. We have Windows for a single reason: Floriani Total Control U. It runs only on Windows, the company has zero plans to support any other OS, it's simply the best embroidery software out there bar non and given its cost (check the MSRP for a bit of a shock), more of an investment than a simple cost.

If it weren't for that one product, we'd have ditched Microsoft completely. The simple fact is we have too much invested to drop Windows and I suspect many people and companies are in the same boat. Not exactly the best position to be in, but that's just the way it is: you do the best you can with what you have to work with.

12. vyvojar

vyvojar MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2016
    #32 vyvojar, Aug 22, 2016
    When companies have last thread to MS via legacy app like this, they usually hire a developer to fix Wine for them (yes, I sort of do this for a living). That is all assuming the app is useless under Wine now.

13. shewolf

shewolf MDL Senior Member

Apr 16, 2015
  14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    A simple application like this (assuming it's unable tu run on wine) can be used pretty easily via the remote app feature, form a single windows machine over dozens of linux ones.

The applications available only on windows aren't urban legends, but are corner cases limited to specific professional environments, and the problem can be workarounded easily in a way or another

15. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I was waiting for somebody to suggest Wine ... completely unworkable. Not only does FTCU not work under Wine, that would be like putting the Stealth bomber on a 1946 flatbed truck in order for the bomber to complete its mission.

You work for Floriani?

16. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    At the risk of getting banned, I confess to finding Microsoft systems very good. Windows 10 works very well for me, especially sorting out drivers etc.

The only real competition is coming from Google. Google sheets is the equal of Excel, and does some things involving live updates, that I cannot make work in Excel.

Regarding "spying" are there any documented cases of Microsoft actually doing anything nasty to an individual, for perhaps using DAZ Loader etc? Cannot think of anything else the average person has to fear. I know it is a different matter re companies.

17. vyvojar

vyvojar MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2016
    When terminal server is not an option (lot's of off-site employees with low bandwidth), another alternative is virtualbox/vmware with seamless/unity.

On the contrary, niche shops have no problem migrating to linux, because they need only few very specific *legacy* apps (meaning, performance is not an issue). However the *generic* office/creative/visualstudio shop has no interest in linux for multitude of reasons.

18. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #38 PhaseDoubt, Aug 22, 2016
    [FONT=&amp]OK, I'll take you up on your offer. As one of the Gurus here, purchase the FTCU product and find a viable solution for running it under some other OS as well as it runs on Windows.

Please let me know when you get this solved. I genuinely would like not to be forced to use Windows.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Please understand, we have production goals to meet and customers to satisfy so we can’t be a test case and the product will have to run exactly as it does under Windows in order to produce catalog items. Change over to the other OS will necessarily have to be pretty much instantaneous and perfectly problem free.[/FONT]

19. vyvojar

vyvojar MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2016
    Indeed most of creative software is real pain under wine. Even photoshop, despite a lot of effort thrown at it, is not really that useable - plugins. And don't get me started on audio production software. Anything actively developed is not really worth the effort for wine (as the publisher will keep breaking compatibility with wine all the time).

Wine is a viable route only for legacy software, and maybe video games.

20. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #40 PhaseDoubt, Aug 22, 2016
    I challenge you to prove that for Floriani TCU. FTCU is not a game, it's a very high end production type software.