Windows Developer Preview Build 8102 Classic Interface

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MSMG, Sep 27, 2011.

1. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    If they want you to buy Windows 8, it may not be a Windows 7 SP2 at all. :D

2. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    You have to buy win8 to get all the "good" stuff. :D

3. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    And don't expect it to be cheap! :roflmao:

4. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    About W7 SP2 there are rumors...maybe will be launched in April 2012...I cannot give the prooves because i read about on random sites on the Internet...

5. Windows4live

Windows4live MDL Addicted

Jan 31, 2011
    can you name sites where you read that please

6. kpo6969

kpo6969 MDL Member

Mar 15, 2010
    +1
    Thought it would be sooner than that.

7. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Google it as i done with some time ago....sorry!

8. Misaki2010

Misaki2010 MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    #28 Misaki2010, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
    There's no point of using Windows 8 if you disable Metro UI :) and/or Ribbon ... for me it works perfectly with a mouse and a keyboard, no bugs, never got a BSOD on 8102 and I doubt I will... the metro apps doesn't crash, doesn't eat too much memory (and I can close them anytime from the Task Manager or by pressing Alt+F4) and definitely look awesome (through the twitter app needs more functionality) :) this is my opinion about Windows 8.

I mean... if you want to keep the OLD interface just stick with Windows 7 don't just upgrade to 8 (Dev Preview), you'll just blame Microsoft afterwards if the drivers don't work for you or if it's possible, the OS crashes when you do something important.

EDIT: one more thing, if Microsoft removes the MetroUI from RTM or from the future builds I will just stick with Dev Preview till it expires... (or just change my BIOS date). I got sick of Windows 7 for 3 whole years, now it's time for something NEW!

9. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Why always metro v/s classic ui in broad terms? I want a classic ui but WITH the explorer ribbon and new task manager and anything productivity related that may crop up in the future. Theres no need for MS to punish the classic fans by depriving them from these.

10. secretromeo

secretromeo MDL Addicted

Mar 30, 2011
    I agree... I just can't understand why people are behaving as cry-babies! Its just pre-beta! For goodness' sake, people should stop judging the product so early! And by the way, lets just hope Microsoft further improves the Metro UI and NOT remove it! The Metro UI looks beautiful...

11. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Is there a way to change the user tile without enabling metro? :confused:

12. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Agreed with you..it is time for something new....i remember few years ago when i discovered Windows 7...because not enough video memory i choosed classic interface but soon after i uninstalled W7....so why W7 or 8 if I want classic interface...?If wish so i can install windows 2000 or this kind of stuff...:D

13. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Personally, I am not at all bothered with how it looks (not just with 8 but for any application for that matter...)

What I do bother about is whether it's functional, fast and reliable. I am a fan of minimalism / practicality as opposed to appearance / good looks. That reflects on my Desktop which is absolute basic i.e. Win98 look, visuals set to Best Performance etc. Everything I need for completing my tasks - is there. Anything not needed - is not :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    +1, I set all my PC's visual to best performance, turn off Tablet PC components, turn off Windows Gadget, uninstall anything that I don't need, make my PC as lean as possible. I want my PC to have the best performance, not the best looking.

15. Jaycee13

Jaycee13 MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2011
    #35 Jaycee13, Sep 29, 2011
    80% stupid people (on the school).. now go back to your school! :D

16. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Ppl don't really think its ugly, seriously but their problem is perception.
    The Tile interface is way to different to what we had before on everything (besides WP7 which hardly anyone really saw in person)
    Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, Android, etc etc etc etc, ALL use Icons, it's to much of a change for the "noob" so they automaticly think of it as ugly or not intuitive, you have to use this Interface with useful Applications (there are no useful apps on WDP) to make sense of this UI, its by no mean ugly... it's a refreshing, modern approach displaying useful Information.
    Most people will have to grasp the Idea behind this Interface first to get to like it, cause when i read this forum i see 99% not having a clue how AWESOME Microsoft's new Interface will be thanks to allowing Applications deeper integration with the OS, you will be able to do so much more than you could before on a Tablet and if you are on a PC... its a Startmenu, not like your Desktop apps are gone all of a sudden, the switch is "instant" but they added a animation, you can already click stuff instantly after pressing Winkey, you jut don't see it ;P

The tiles are basicly like Widgets but way better.
    For example you only have to start a application "once" to Initilize it to allow it being a Live Tile (no i don't mean having it suspended in the background, but really Start it then you can just kill it if you want)
    Now everytime you visit your Startscreen the Livetiles will update with the newest information, your Weather app for example will display your <CURRENT> Temperature, not the one it showed when you had it opened.

I really would like to see ppl looking more deeper in what this Interface really is :\ Sure MS has to do much more to get ppl to change (depending on how much the Interface functionality changes until RTM), im not sure they can do that with Win8, but with Win9 they should be able to do that, Microsoft is changing, they know they have to do something.. and honestly their Approach of 2 Interfaces is the best thing they could have done (but they also need to upgrade their Desktop API Controls, its ooooooooold n ugly), having another Tablet Windows thats not for Desktop as well just does not work, they could not compete with Apple that way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes you can get them, but each time when you logon you will be prompted with an error dialog "Hard Error" or something like that.. it's very annoying..

18. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    #38 MSMG, Sep 29, 2011
    (OP)
    The only way i could change it was by using a $oem$\$1\ProgramData\Microsoft \User Account Pictures\user.bmp

If you want to often change the user tile.. you can manually replace the bitmap in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft \User Account Pictures\user.bmp and make a reboot.. but am not sure it will work or not, have to give a try...

One more thing, it's for people who are using metro interface.. if you want to change the default lock screen picture you can do it while installing the os with a $oem$\$$\Web\Screen\img100.jpg
    you can replace the bitmap with a custom one..

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    To me the Metro UI is ugly (in fact I never have seen such a utterly ugly design before) and has a bad workflow. Hence it is a huge step backwards.
    Some may say I haven't taken enough time to work with it. If I had taken it I would find it useful.
    But why should I waste (take) my time therefore when I can perform the same steps a lot faster already?

Example:
    Being right-handed, why should I use my left hand to do common things? I would be much slower, but could do it after a lot of practise. I only would practise if I should be forced to... for instance I had injured my right hand.
    It's the same as to use Metro...it simply makes no sense. (I am using my right hand = W7 UI, I don't need my left hand = Metro UI therefore).

A 24 inches desktop screen never will need the touch feature, it is useless to touch my 24 inches screen with my fingers. It just will be ridiculous. Therefore we have tablets.

So IMHO Metro has to disappear at X86 and X64 versions. It might be useful as worst alternative compared to Android on ARM CPU devices.

20. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Please note that this WDP is STILL partially unlocked via "Redpill", RC/RTM will not have this, (not sure about Public Beta, but it too should have no redpill anymore)